How cold can they handle?

team_realtree

Songster
14 Years
Jun 28, 2009
When I first get my 8 rhode island reds this week I plan on putting them in an old 20 gal aquarium. I've owned chicks and know that they outgrow that pretty fast. At what age would they be ready to go outside in the garage in a bigger brooder? It would be made of plywood and they would have lamps keeping them warm. The garage isn't insulated and is maybe a few degrees warmer than the actual air temperature. Say for example if it goes down to 40-45 degrees at what age could they handle that if they have a lamp over them?

as long as you can maintain a nice temp inside the brooder, they'll be fine. I kept my day olds out in our garage last april, and it got down into the middle 40's at night, they did fine the heat lamp def. did its job. You could put something on top of the brooder to help keep heat in. just make sure what you put up there isn't in dager of catching fire. I use a towel, and close three quarters or so of the top to help hold in the heat.

gonzo&hispeeps :

as long as you can maintain a nice temp inside the brooder, they'll be fine. I kept my day olds out in our garage last april, and it got down into the middle 40's at night, they did fine the heat lamp def. did its job. You could put something on top of the brooder to help keep heat in. just make sure what you put up there isn't in dager of catching fire. I use a towel, and close three quarters or so of the top to help hold in the heat.

Would I specifcally need a "heat" lamp in this situation? A few 100w bulbs wouldn't do the trick would they?​

At what age would they be able to handle 50 degree weather with no heat just simply in there coop?

Back
Top Bottom