1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How cold can weather get without harming a silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happyhens44, Feb 28, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Uhhh I really want Silkies But I live a norhtern Wisconsin and winters are horrible, But I want silkies Soooooo baddddd..

How cold is too cold for a silkie

2. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    We have one silkie in with a flock of standards. It has been down to the negatives at night here at times, and she's been doing fine. In fact, she's been better than some of the larger, more cold-hardy girls.

3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I'm not really sure how cold they can get. However, I live in North Western PA and have never heated my Silkies. They handle the weather wonderfully. At night, I have to put them in their box, as they want to sleep outside. [​IMG] However, they don't handle the wet/mud/snow well. I rabbit hutch mine.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I live in KY and we have seen some horrible winters mine have no heat during the winters and do fine. No frost bitten birds and have not lost any.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We've had a bitterly cold winter up here in NY. Physically, my Silkies have been thriving. Just keep them in a tight, dry coop. But I've been keeping them in so much, I worry about their emotional state. [​IMG]

Kidding, of course. Apples and salad will keep anyone occupied. Don't worry about it.

6. san415

san415 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    I live in Michigan, in the upper part of the thumb area. Its very cold and also we have the wind off of Lake Huron. My coop is not heated and my hens have done fine in our winters. My silkie does especially well. She has gone broody twice this winter and so I think that means she thinks she is in a habitat that would allow her to raise chicks. I am not sure I think she could right now but she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by