How cold is to cold

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
Done a bunch of searches and can't seem to find an answer. I am collecting my eggs every evening and they are in the 40's and 50's. Are they to cold to try to hatch. I wish I could collect them as soon as they where laid but just don't have the time to sit and wait. Any suggestions. rj

They will be fine as long as they don't freeze, people have hatched eggs that have been sitting in their fridge.
smile.png

Good luck and happy hatching!
jumpy.gif

I have tried to hatch out a few a couple times with no luck. I have one of those foam forced air bators with a turner but always something seems to happen. Now that I have my own fertile eggs it will be just a matter of time not money. Thanks for the reply. rj

i thought the egg must be kept at a fairly warm temp in order to be hatchable? I know there are exceptions, but I have to think the ideal is a warm temp.

I currently have a couple of Maran eggs in the incubator that were refrigerated for several days.. this will be my first attempt at hatching refrigerated chicken eggs, but I've done the same thing with quail eggs in the past and still had 80% hatch rates after being stored for a couple of weeks at 38 degrees

Quote:
I understand that, but i don't want to waste more eggs than i need to.

I have another question:
Do different chicken breeds mate?
I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 White longhorns, 1 polish rooster, 1 polish hen, 1 Americana hen and 1 americana rooster.

These breeds would make great fun in the offspring.
Any worries?

Back
Top Bottom