How cold is to cold

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crooked stripe, Dec 14, 2011.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Done a bunch of searches and can't seem to find an answer. I am collecting my eggs every evening and they are in the 40's and 50's. Are they to cold to try to hatch. I wish I could collect them as soon as they where laid but just don't have the time to sit and wait. Any suggestions. rj

2. RareBreedFancier

RareBreedFancier Surrounded by Broodies

Nov 5, 2010
    Australia :)
    They will be fine as long as they don't freeze, people have hatched eggs that have been sitting in their fridge. [​IMG]

Good luck and happy hatching! [​IMG]

3. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have tried to hatch out a few a couple times with no luck. I have one of those foam forced air bators with a turner but always something seems to happen. Now that I have my own fertile eggs it will be just a matter of time not money. Thanks for the reply. rj

4. Myles

Myles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Indiana
    i thought the egg must be kept at a fairly warm temp in order to be hatchable? I know there are exceptions, but I have to think the ideal is a warm temp.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:Stored at 55-60 F and humid would be ideal..cva34

6. free_loader

free_loader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    DeLeon Springs
    I currently have a couple of Maran eggs in the incubator that were refrigerated for several days.. this will be my first attempt at hatching refrigerated chicken eggs, but I've done the same thing with quail eggs in the past and still had 80% hatch rates after being stored for a couple of weeks at 38 degrees

7. Myles

Myles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:That is awesome. i thought for sure that cold eggs would have a much less hatching rate.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I hatched marans pullet eggs that were in the fridge for a week. I let them sit out until they were room temperature before I put them in the bator though..

9. Many persons have posted on this site about hatching fertile eggs sold at Trader Joes. Even though these eggs were refrigerated for a long period of time the eggs still hatched. Not sure of the % rates but it does/can happen.

10. Myles

Myles Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:I understand that, but i don't want to waste more eggs than i need to.

I have another question:
    Do different chicken breeds mate?
    I have 4 Rhode Island Reds, 2 White longhorns, 1 polish rooster, 1 polish hen, 1 Americana hen and 1 americana rooster.

These breeds would make great fun in the offspring.
    Any worries?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by