How cold is too cold?! Cold snap!!

At 2 weeks, I'd have a heat source for them to get under....they can't regulate their internal temperature at that age.
Yes I made it where they can go under (the heating pad) but they like to try to sandbathe on top but end up sliding off. šŸ¤£ Thank you all again!!!

Yes I made it where they can go under (the heating pad) but they like to try to sandbathe on top but end up sliding off. šŸ¤£ Thank you all again!!!
For quail I would recommend putting the heating pad on the floor so they can sit on it.

When I mentioned 'heat source' to get under, I was referring to a heat lamp.
Oooh, haha.

For quail I would recommend putting the heating pad on the floor so they can sit on it.

They can sit on it or under it, I just did a diy version of those heating plates. They like to sit on it more than under it. When they were little little chicks they liked to be under it but now they want to be on top.

Oooh, haha.

They can sit on it or under it, I just did a diy version of those heating plates. They like to sit on it more than under it. When they were little little chicks they liked to be under it but now they want to be on top.
What i am trying to say is if they aren't touching the pad it isn't doing anything to warm them.

If they are under it...it must be low enough that it touches them.

It's easier to just lay it flat fo they have more room to lay on top of it.

What i am trying to say is if they aren't touching the pad it isn't doing anything to warm them.

If they are under it...it must be low enough that it touches them.

It's easier to just lay it flat fo they have more room to lay on top of it.
Ok! That is good to know thank you!!!

We have had a couple nights below freezing, 27-29 or so. My adults were fine, the snowies at 5-6 weeks were generally fine, but I had to bring one of the blind ones inside. I suspect her issue was not the cold, just couldnā€™t find the feed regularly. Itā€™s is so wet here right now, and when the rain lets up I put down new chips, and refill the hide boxes. So far so good. Some of the ā€œpopularā€ girls are missing a lot of feathers on their heads and necks, but theyā€™re fine as well. The tarp overhead keeps water from falling on them, but itā€™s so wet, the chips absorb water from the ground. The birds also dig into the cold wet ground/mud and wallow in it which also doesnā€™t help keep the chips dry. Over all, so far my birds are unphased by the cold.

Back
Top Bottom