how cold is too cold for 6 week old chicks?

I am in the same boat. SW OH on May 12 who would expect night temps in the 30s? 4 1/2 week old orps did fine last night…second day in the coop…a huge rain and thunderstorm the first night with standing water in their run. Surprised none wanted to come out? So last night I closed the doors and put a 75 watt work light in there. I don't know about physiological stress but all 6 seem happy. They are almost all feathered so I'm sure that helps. I really appreciate the advice on this website. And a tolerant/helpful husband!

Thank you all for this post and discussion. I have two 6-7 week old Partridge Cochins. They look so small and I was worried about putting them out in their new coop with temps at 70-80 (ok) in the day and 40s to 50s (not so sure ok) at night. I think they are going to love it out of the brooder "tent" and a step closer to nature :).

In their tent.

Soon to be home.

Thanks again!

I have been wondering the same thing about cold temps and my 6 week old leghorns and golden comets. It has been in the 50's and a cold rain...they huddle together in a corner under their coop. Question...when will they learn to go into their coop to get out of the chill? or maybe they won't? It has been 4 days and nights in their pen and I still have to pick them all up at dusk and put them in their coop. What is the "learning curve" on them going to the coop by themselves?

We are going camping for Memorial day and I have people coming to chicken sit, but had hoped they would just start putting themselves to bed :)

The answer to almost any question regarding 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 week old chicks is that they are a whole lot tougher than folks give them credit. A broody mom would have kicked them out out the nest a long time ago, so to speak. After 4 weeks, most chicks only need a little help at night. At 6 weeks, unless you intend to experience overnight temps in the 20's, they don't need any assistance at all. Just a dry sheltered place. That's it.

If I were leaving for a couple of days, I'd lock the birds in a safe place, like our barn or in a large coop, with twice the waterers than normal. If daytime temps were not over 86F and they had good ventilation, I'd rather they be locked up and I not have to worry about them. If they haven't figured out how to get up and down a ramp yet, they'll be left outside and perhaps more susceptible to predation.

The answer to almost any question regarding 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 week old chicks is that they are a whole lot tougher than folks give them credit. A broody mom would have kicked them out out the nest a long time ago, so to speak. After 4 weeks, most chicks only need a little help at night. At 6 weeks, unless you intend to experience overnight temps in the 20's, they don't need any assistance at all. Just a dry sheltered place. That's it.

If I were leaving for a couple of days, I'd lock the birds in a safe place, like our barn or in a large coop, with twice the waterers than normal. If daytime temps were not over 86F and they had good ventilation, I'd rather they be locked up and I not have to worry about them. If they haven't figured out how to get up and down a ramp yet, they'll be left outside and perhaps more susceptible to predation.

X2

I have been wondering the same thing about cold temps and my 6 week old leghorns and golden comets. It has been in the 50's and a cold rain...they huddle together in a corner under their coop. Question...when will they learn to go into their coop to get out of the chill? or maybe they won't? It has been 4 days and nights in their pen and I still have to pick them all up at dusk and put them in their coop. What is the "learning curve" on them going to the coop by themselves?

We are going camping for Memorial day and I have people coming to chicken sit, but had hoped they would just start putting themselves to bed :)
They'll start to figure it out soon and in less than a week they'll all put themselves to bed.

I'm planning to have them locked up in their coop for about a week or two. It's well ventilated and will keep them protected. I expect they will get used to it and be liking it by the time the run is complete. Then I'll open the run to them. I hope that works for getting them back in at night, but these are my first two chickens so they are part of my " learning curve"...poor things! Lucky for them (and lucky for me) I have the BYC community to go to :). I have ten more chicks coming in a couple of weeks. Really looking forward to it!

Back
Top Bottom