How cold is TOO cold for a chicken?

Pics
Probably not...they like to sun when they can and they'll all stand around in groups in the winter sun, all fluffed up and still with their knees bent just a little, sometimes fluffing and grooming.

The girls did really well... I put a 125W heat lamp in there and put a 60 W bulb in a concrete block and set the water on top and it did not freeze.. I am learning from all of you and thanks for the confidence that I received that they would be okay! They went out in the morning when I raised the door and did not seem to mind the cold temps here in Middle Ga. It got as low as 12* with a feels like of 0*. They are enjoying the 50*s now...
Thanks again folks.....us newbees are learning....

Good grief chickens are tough! I had no idea they could handle that much. We have a small heater, how warm should we keep it in the coop?

Not too warm or it can breed bacteria.. When you have biddies they tell you to start out at 95* and then get them down to 70* before putting them in a coop. But then the girls will go out when the coop gets too warm... Needs more ventilation but waiting till the next cold snap gets over with.. I open the windows during the day... They have lots of feathers and doing fine with the cold...

We just got a few chickens and a couple of ducks this year as babies in July or so. We live in MI, about 40 miles from Detroit. I was just talking about how cold it was and how the chickens were holding up. I am not sure we have done everything perfect this year - like built them the perfect coop yet - but they have a small enclosed area with a heat light and heated water bowl they go in at night - ducks and chickens both. At the house we purchased this summer, there was a destroyed in-ground pool we had to fill in - but along with it was a really nice brick pool house. For a temporary "coop" we build an enclosed box inside the pool house (it was not pristine inside - and we still have yet to really clean it out!). At night they go in there - with the light and such - and during the day they are in the pool house or yard - or the heated kiddie pool for the ducks! They have access to the heated area all day and choose NOT to go in it. They are so spoiled - that each night we go out to put them to "bed" and have to pick them up and put them in their house. The chickens are super warm when we pick them up- and it has been around 0 here (with a small heat wave into he 20's) for about 3 weeks! They are tough little buggers and holding up just fine! We have two white silkies (hen and rooster) and (I think) Silver Duckwing Old English Game Bantam chickens - 1 rooster and 2 hens. We just ordered 4 more female ducks (ours are both boys I think!) and 10 more baby chickens - 5 Black Australorps and 5 Buff Orpingtons. I am so excited to have this bigger flock this year! We had fun and tears raising the first batch of chickens and ducks - a few did not make it and we have a 7 year old daughter who did not like the baby chicks to die! We managed to get through it though. I cannot wait to get the new chicks and raise them this year too! We are also planning a bigger more appropriate coop for them this spring - so that will be fun too! We hope to get some eggs and just enjoy our chickens eating the bugs...

Next I could tell you stories of the rest of our farm...3 horses, 3 dogs, 5 cats, a mini pig and our flock of chickens and ducks....There is never a dull moment here or and usually there is something that has to be fed again! LOL!

I'm continually amazed by how many people keep insisting on heat lamps, despite constant assurances on the lack of need. When people from Alaska, Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, the Dakotas and the like are not using them, that should tell you right there!

When you have cold hardy breeds, you have nothing to worry about. These birds are considerably tougher than you could ever imagine, and they know how to survive and adapt. When they've been raised all through the year, nature sets them up for survival, if they're healthy.

I live in Gaylord, MI. Lots of snow, lots of cold, lots of wind. This is my first year of chickens, and this site, along with constant observation and interaction, has taught me lots of information. I haven't had a single problem with my birds yet. Two have been moulting, and even on the -25 base temps days; not a problem. They'll eat snow, huddle together and generally just do what they need to, in order to satisfy their needs.

Please don't take this the wrong way, nor view me as a know-it-all. Far from any of that. I just really paid attention and go by what my birds tell me. I've also read and read and read about chickens. I'm quite satisfied by what I've learned and gained since March of this past year. Next year, will be even better for my girls. Enjoy your birds everyone!

Last edited:
I'm in Maine, and do not use any heat in my coop. The only issue I've had is a little bit of frostbite on my larger combed birds. The white leghorns will likely loose the larger tips on their combs. My pea combed EE has absolutely none, and seems oblivious to the cold.
My cold hardy dream team would include EE or Americaunas, Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Brahmas, and Wyandottes. If only there were a pea combed white egg layer. I like having every color egg ;)
I noticed some rose combed leghorn eggs for sale on the swap or sell thread;), can anyone tell me how a rose comb does in cold weather?

Back
Top Bottom