Pics
Jul 13, 2022
Hi there!

I have 6 Rhode Island reds just under 1 year old and I also have 3- 14 week old pullets (silver laced Wyandotte, Australorp and an Easter egger).

It’s going to get down to 19 degrees Fahrenheit this week and there’s so many articles online about chickens and colder temperatures.

I’m wondering if it’s going to be too cold for them. If I’m going to need to move them into my patio or if they need a heat lamp/ heater in their coop???

Thank you in advance :) 🐓

Hi there!

I have 6 Rhode Island reds just under 1 year old and I also have 3- 14 week old pullets (silver laced Wyandotte, Australorp and an Easter egger).

It’s going to get down to 19 degrees Fahrenheit this week and there’s so many articles online about chickens and colder temperatures.

I’m wondering if it’s going to be too cold for them. If I’m going to need to move them into my patio or if they need a heat lamp/ heater in their coop???

Thank you in advance :) 🐓

19F is nothing to a chicken.

Even my soft, southern chickens -- the ones who think 90F is a cool day in July -- handle that just fine in their open air coop. :)

I understand chickens getting used to the cold up north, but I worry about my young hens here in Tennessee where it’s 55F during the day and then is supposed to drop to 9F Friday early morning. They are in an open run with some hiding spots but prefer to roost in a tire set vertically with shavings in it. I am worried about the temp fluctuations and them not having time to work up to it. Is this not a real concern? They were all born this past summer.

I understand chickens getting used to the cold up north, but I worry about my young hens here in Tennessee where it’s 55F during the day and then is supposed to drop to 9F Friday early morning. They are in an open run with some hiding spots but prefer to roost in a tire set vertically with shavings in it. I am worried about the temp fluctuations and them not having time to work up to it. Is this not a real concern? They were all born this past summer.
Sorry, I don’t have any suggestions as I’m in the exact same position (with the same concerns) with young hens in eastern Tennessee. They are forecasting 3 nights of teens down to 4 degrees with days in the 20s coming up this week. It’s a huge change from the norm and I have only a small prefab thats currently mostly wrapped with a tarp to limit the wind in freezing temps.

Well mine have done just fine in an uninsulated, well ventilated coop with good bedding and no drafts at NEGATIVE 35 degrees.

Single digits do not even slow them down.
This is us too! We are headed to negative 35-40 degrees this week and I am not worried. Like @Mrs. K said no drafts and well ventilated coops are the key.

It was -6F yesterday morning and all my girls came out of the coop at 6:45 am like it was just an ordinary day.

Back
Top Bottom