Don't over-do the wrapping. Chickens need ventilation just as much in the winter as in the summer and prefabs are notoriously ill-ventilated to start with. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/
You’re certainly right about that! Ours came with only 1 (closable) small vent on each side and we added a half dozen 1 inch holes in the wood on the other two sides to help out. Haven’t had any problems yet…
and even with the tarp there is space at the top that still allows air flow and the front is left open during the day and partially at night.
Our concern wasn’t necessarily the cold, but the extreme sudden drop in temperature from what they have been getting used to - from the nightly 20’s to a few nights in the single digits.

I understand chickens getting used to the cold up north, but I worry about my young hens here in Tennessee where it’s 55F during the day and then is supposed to drop to 9F Friday early morning. They are in an open run with some hiding spots but prefer to roost in a tire set vertically with shavings in it. I am worried about the temp fluctuations and them not having time to work up to it. Is this not a real concern? They were all born this past summer.

You’re certainly right about that! Ours came with only 1 (closable) small vent on each side and we added a half dozen 1 inch holes in the wood on the other two sides to help out. Haven’t had any problems yet…
and even with the tarp there is space at the top that still allows air flow and the front is left open during the day and partially at night.
Our concern wasn’t necessarily the cold, but the extreme sudden drop in temperature from what they have been getting used to - from the nightly 20’s to a few nights in the single digits.
This is my concern as well. Normally I don’t worry about my chicken with the cold but it’s supposed to rain here all day before so I’ll be dealing with wet chickens and a 50 degree temp drop in less than 24hrs.

I am in the same boat with those living in the south. Our chickens are not used to the temps we will have on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and you are right…the days leading up to it have a lot of rain. I have lost sleep over this one.

Here is what I am doing…in the two coops at night I am using the flat panel radiant heaters I used in their brooder. I am keeping them on low and I have the ability to monitor the temps in the coops on my phone. During the day, I am putting the heaters under their coops to provide covered warming stations in the runs.

Last edited:
I understand chickens getting used to the cold up north, but I worry about my young hens here in Tennessee where it’s 55F during the day and then is supposed to drop to 9F Friday early morning. They are in an open run with some hiding spots but prefer to roost in a tire set vertically with shavings in it. I am worried about the temp fluctuations and them not having time to work up to it. Is this not a real concern? They were all born this past summer.
Do you have any tarps/ clear construction plastic from lowes and scrap wood to build a temp shelter and use the tarp to wrap around the scrap wood? Fill it with a deep layer of straw 6”. Chickens are pretty hardy as long as they remain dry and not wet. I’m also from Tennessee and they’ll do fine with the temps it’s the -20 degree windchill and the high winds that would concern me with an open coop.

We spent days putting plastic around the runs (no worries, we left plenty of ventilation), and other things getting the chickens ready for the plummeting temperatures and brutal winds. Last night, we changed our minds. We live on 6-acres and have a cabin that is mostly finished (does have heat) on the other side of the property. We decided our plastic would not hold up in these winds. Also, the rain we were not suppose to have was misting. All combined a recipe for a possible bad situation. We taped plastic to the floor and then covered with pine shavings. Brought the water, food, nesting boxes, grit, electronic thermostats, cameras and then 9 hens and 2 roosters two by two in laundry baskets covered with towels, over to the cabin for the next 4-days. It took us 3-hours. We are not going to be extreme, keeping the temps in the 50’s for easier transition back to home. We made roosts with roosting bars using clamps between two ladders.

Back
Top Bottom