Sorry, I don’t have any suggestions as I’m in the exact same position (with the same concerns) with young hens in eastern Tennessee. They are forecasting 3 nights of teens down to 4 degrees with days in the 20s coming up this week. It’s a huge change from the norm and I have only a small prefab thats currently mostly wrapped with a tarp to limit the wind in freezing temps.
Same here but in Pittsburgh . We just updated it by gutting the insides, boarding up the wire part, and adding a floor. Just finished in time yesterday, too. We have a huge heavyweight tarp wrapped over it and I’m going in periodically. It blew off twice when the wind started overnight which I had to fix. Felt so bad because some snow dusting got in. I just have to wait it out till Saturday and change out some of the bedding I guess. It’s currently 7 degrees out including the wind chill. I only have 3 at 18 weeks. I hope your birds are alright.

We spent days putting plastic around the runs (no worries, we left plenty of ventilation), and other things getting the chickens ready for the plummeting temperatures and brutal winds. Last night, we changed our minds. We live on 6-acres and have a cabin that is mostly finished (does have heat) on the other side of the property. We decided our plastic would not hold up in these winds. Also, the rain we were not suppose to have was misting. All combined a recipe for a possible bad situation. We taped plastic to the floor and then covered with pine shavings. Brought the water, food, nesting boxes, grit, electronic thermostats, cameras and then 9 hens and 2 roosters two by two in laundry baskets covered with towels, over to the cabin for the next 4-days. It took us 3-hours. We are not going to be extreme, keeping the temps in the 50’s for easier transition back to home. We made roosts with roosting bars using clamps between two ladders.
Sometimes the labor required is remarkable. I've found it often has to be done very quickly, too.

We are not going to be extreme, keeping the temps in the 50’s for easier transition back to home.
Depending on how low you can set the heat, I might aim for 40s or even upper 30s. As long as it is actually above freezing, they will be certain to avoid frostbite, and their water will not freeze.

Of course you should watch the chickens and adjust the temperature based on how they act, but most chickens will act normal and comfortable in any wind-free place that stays above freezing. (freezing = 32 degrees fahrenheit = 0 degrees celsius)

Depending on how low you can set the heat, I might aim for 40s or even upper 30s. As long as it is actually above freezing, they will be certain to avoid frostbite, and their water will not freeze.

Of course you should watch the chickens and adjust the temperature based on how they act, but most chickens will act normal and comfortable in any wind-free place that stays above freezing. (freezing = 32 degrees fahrenheit = 0 degrees celsius)
I agree with you. We ended up keeping it around 45. I am just relieved that now the wind issue is gone and they are dry.

Last edited:
Sometimes the labor required is remarkable. I've found it often has to be done very quickly, too.
You are spot on. This year in South Carolina, I feel as if I am constantly in weather crisis mode with respect to chicken care. Record rains, record winds, and now record low temperatures and windchills. Thank God, I am able to work at home, or I don’t know how I could do it.

I wondered about this

With outside temps SO low, (-5 now) I wasn't sure if I should turn the heat panels on high so the coop is above freezing. Then, no frostbite. BUT, am I doing them an I justice then by then refusing to leave the coop and it being so much colder once they do? It won't be above freezing outside for a few days. My coop, at it's lowest with the what panels, was 17 F. Outside at that temp was negative 25. Now, at it's warmest, the coop has been 32F, with outside being 9F.

I wondered about this

With outside temps SO low, (-5 now) I wasn't sure if I should turn the heat panels on high so the coop is above freezing. Then, no frostbite. BUT, am I doing them an I justice then by then refusing to leave the coop and it being so much colder once they do? It won't be above freezing outside for a few days. My coop, at it's lowest with the what panels, was 17 F. Outside at that temp was negative 25. Now, at it's warmest, the coop has been 32F, with outside being 9F.
I think it partly depends on your climate.

If it's the coldest week of the entire year, you might as well keep them in a range they might experience the rest of the winter, and not worry about whether they go outside or stay inside this week.

But for temperatures that will be common all winter long, it is probably better if the chickens adapt as much as possible, so they are more able to go outside each day. Or else have a nice big coop, and expect they will just stay inside all winter.

I think it partly depends on your climate.

If it's the coldest week of the entire year, you might as well keep them in a range they might experience the rest of the winter, and not worry about whether they go outside or stay inside this week.

But for temperatures that will be common all winter long, it is probably better if the chickens adapt as much as possible, so they are more able to go outside each day. Or else have a nice big coop, and expect they will just stay inside all winter.
Thank you. Ours fluctuate so dang much. Would love to get rid of those four seasons and have warmth all year!

-18 F. Chickens are happy and fine. The roosting area has zero breeze. Here is an Easter Egger choosing to sit in the open window instead of the back, more sheltered area of the coop.

Attachments

• EE.jpg
    EE.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom