We spent days putting plastic around the runs (no worries, we left plenty of ventilation), and other things getting the chickens ready for the plummeting temperatures and brutal winds. Last night, we changed our minds. We live on 6-acres and have a cabin that is mostly finished (does have heat) on the other side of the property. We decided our plastic would not hold up in these winds. Also, the rain we were not suppose to have was misting. All combined a recipe for a possible bad situation. We taped plastic to the floor and then covered with pine shavings. Brought the water, food, nesting boxes, grit, electronic thermostats, cameras and then 9 hens and 2 roosters two by two in laundry baskets covered with towels, over to the cabin for the next 4-days. It took us 3-hours. We are not going to be extreme, keeping the temps in the 50’s for easier transition back to home. We made roosts with roosting bars using clamps between two ladders.
I know this is about a month old but just saw your comment. I have to admit I also broke down and brought the chickens into our garage (with a little heat) during that week of single digits. We have portable fold out chicken pens we set up on a tarp with straw for the girls. We set up the cat carrier as their nesting box but they wanted nothing to do with that. They did like the cardboard box with a nesting pad but all tried to use it at the same time. (Even after I set a second one up and they only use 1 of 3 in their coop.) When the days became more tolerable they went out and foraged. They got used to coming in within 2 days and all hung out at the gate when it started getting dark. Then after almost a week they still wanted to keep coming in…lol. It took a few days before they slid back into their old routine. Live and learn.

Hi there!

I have 6 Rhode Island reds just under 1 year old and I also have 3- 14 week old pullets (silver laced Wyandotte, Australorp and an Easter egger).

It’s going to get down to 19 degrees Fahrenheit this week and there’s so many articles online about chickens and colder temperatures.

I’m wondering if it’s going to be too cold for them. If I’m going to need to move them into my patio or if they need a heat lamp/ heater in their coop???

Thank you in advance :) 🐓

Hi there!

I have 6 Rhode Island reds just under 1 year old and I also have 3- 14 week old pullets (silver laced Wyandotte, Australorp and an Easter egger).

It’s going to get down to 19 degrees Fahrenheit this week and there’s so many articles online about chickens and colder temperatures.

I’m wondering if it’s going to be too cold for them. If I’m going to need to move them into my patio or if they need a heat lamp/ heater in their coop???

Hey, I have been concerned about the freezing temperatures also, My coop is made of cattle panels and tarps, I have walled off a small separate area and hung extra plastic sheeting, I also laid in about an additional 8 inches of straw for deep litter method. I did everything I could possibly do then I prayed🙏🏻… Here in Tennessee we got down to -10 with merciless wind chill and deep freeze wind, my ladies made it through perfect! I was counting heads and praying they were ok !! all is good and I can tell you these wonderful chickens are not shrinking violets they are strong troopers !!! 😃🙏🏻👍❤️✝️

I know this is about a month old but just saw your comment. I have to admit I also broke down and brought the chickens into our garage (with a little heat) during that week of single digits. We have portable fold out chicken pens we set up on a tarp with straw for the girls. We set up the cat carrier as their nesting box but they wanted nothing to do with that. They did like the cardboard box with a nesting pad but all tried to use it at the same time. (Even after I set a second one up and they only use 1 of 3 in their coop.) When the days became more tolerable they went out and foraged. They got used to coming in within 2 days and all hung out at the gate when it started getting dark. Then after almost a week they still wanted to keep coming in…lol. It took a few days before they slid back into their old routine. Live and learn.
I broke down and brought them on my bed. Whoops.

Hi there!

Im sure you have gotten plenty of responses but i wanted to answer anyway,
this really depends on the breed.

Example, for Japanese bantams, thats not great. 19 is cold for them, their small, slender, and not cold hardy.

Bantam cochin on the other hand? I wouldn’t really worry.

I know right. They are funny. Give them 10 nesting boxes and they want 1. It also took me a few days to get them back into the swing of things when we left the cabin.

If it’s a matter of age my isa browns are 7 months old and appear unaffected by the colder temperatures. It was and is down in the lower 20s (last night) and they are their usual selves. I did find, from a suggestion, that is probably more for my peace of mind, that they enjoy a warmed mash made from their food on really cold mornings. I add some meal worms to it and it’s the first thing they run to when let out of their ”inner coop”.

19º isn’t too cold for chickens. I worry about mine when it’s in single digits, but the only one I bring indoors (to a cage in our basement) is my little Sebright hen. As soon as it’s above 10º, out she goes. She’s 5 years old and has done fine.
Chickens, like your wild birds, have down jackets….
Mine thrive at 20f degrees!

Back
Top Bottom