Today was cold enough here in CT that the girls didnt want to leave their run! It was the wind chill on top of it. -8 with the wind. Soooo, I took a sled, placed it in run and filled it with some coco coir, and a tray of some pea sprouts I planted indoors last week, threw it all in the sled and added some hemp bedding a a bit of scratch and meal worms and watched the chickens go at it with vigor! I also gave them a bit of scrambled egg and tuna today as well. (probably too much), but i get all worked up if they are cold. I'll see the effects tomorrow morning with their droppings. Its supposed to be even colder -14 tomorrow. its that darn wind! Gets everyones feathers ruffled. Especially mine whilst trying to keep theirs in place, lol.
🤣 I have a great image of this. I totally get it. And no that’s not too much. I do the same thing. I thing we all do to some extent We just care and have compassion. Your birds sound awesome. I have to start doing tuna. I keep forgetting that as a supplement. Mine gorged themselves before bedtime, so I’m hoping that cracked corn in there metabolizing helps keeps them warm overnight. We have them in the absolute worst spot as far as wind. Full blast. Only spot that was best for them overall though. Stay warm.

adding some hot water to feed with some added oatmeal and some flax seeds might perk them up a bit too ;) Just gotta make sure they eat it or it will freeze quick. They do!
This is a great combo. Definitely will use this in the morning. Thanks for the tip. What would be a good substitute for flax?

yea! What you said. They seem to love it like its something totally different. I add the extras just because of the super cold factor and the flax & oatmeal offer that little protein boost

If your chicken feed is in the normal protein range (between 16% and 20%), the oatmeal does NOT offer a protein boost. I can look up the protein level of oats, and it is lower than that (10% to 15% is the range I'm finding.)

When I look up flax percent protein, I find 18% which could be higher or lower than your chicken food depending on exactly what protein level your basic feed has.

A bit of flax and oatmeal will probably not do any harm, but I don't think they give any special benefit either.

Today was cold enough here in CT that the girls didnt want to leave their run! It was the wind chill on top of it. -8 with the wind. Soooo, I took a sled, placed it in run and filled it with some coco coir, and a tray of some pea sprouts I planted indoors last week, threw it all in the sled and added some hemp bedding a a bit of scratch and meal worms and watched the chickens go at it with vigor! I also gave them a bit of scrambled egg and tuna today as well. (probably too much), but i get all worked up if they are cold. I'll see the effects tomorrow morning with their droppings. Its supposed to be even colder -14 tomorrow. its that darn wind! Gets everyones feathers ruffled. Especially mine whilst trying to keep theirs in place, lol.
She is so adorable

I would just try chicken food plus water, with nothing extra, and see what your chickens think. That's the easiest, and nutritionally it may also be the best.
Luckily I found my stash of flax this morning. Aaand forgot to mix the seeds with the oats after I excitedly poured them on top 🙄. They’re in the run though. That counts for this morning

If your chicken feed is in the normal protein range (between 16% and 20%), the oatmeal does NOT offer a protein boost. I can look up the protein level of oats, and it is lower than that (10% to 15% is the range I'm finding.)

When I look up flax percent protein, I find 18% which could be higher or lower than your chicken food depending on exactly what protein level your basic feed has.

A bit of flax and oatmeal will probably not do any harm, but I don't think they give any special benefit either.
Good info. When you break it all down like that it really comes down to balance. I’ve always looked at oatmeal (w/water) with some homemade peanut butter as a good treat in the morning. Especially on good mornings. I like the idea of adding flax for the omegas though.

Good info. When you break it all down like that it really comes down to balance. I’ve always looked at oatmeal (w/water) with some homemade peanut butter as a good treat in the morning. Especially on good mornings. I like the idea of adding flax for the omegas though.

Oatmeal has a lot of fiber in it.

This is very good for humans -- and I'm about to eat a bowl of it -- but not so great for chickens.

It's a chilly morning here (by North Carolina standards of chilly, meaning just barely below freezing), and I gave my flock warm mash made with their 22% protein feed.

Oatmeal has a lot of fiber in it.

This is very good for humans -- and I'm about to eat a bowl of it -- but not so great for chickens.

It's a chilly morning here (by North Carolina standards of chilly, meaning just barely below freezing), and I gave my flock warm mash made with their 22% protein feed.
Agree. Hence the word “treat”. I use my daughters leftovers. And I should have mentioned I don’t do this everyday. I do know someone who gives her hens leftover oats frequently though which I always found excessive. Does a lot of damage I think.

Back
Top Bottom