Pics
This is a great combo. Definitely will use this in the morning. Thanks for the tip. What would be a good substitute for flax?
Flax seeds have protein and I had em layin' around. If the hens are cold like this morning, -8F, for 5 hens, i added a couple tablespoons of mealworms, small amount of flax, some 20% chic starter and hot water to their regular 16% layer feed. I have only 5 hens so I prepare this right at the kitchen counter. Yesterday i gave them some sardines and small amount of scrambled egg. little extra boosts of protein to help keep them warmer and get them movin'. We had drastic weather changes! 3 days ago, me and the hens were outside digging around in the ground. Yesterday and today its been in the negatives and wicked winds. ahh, we try our best, thats all we can do. Good luck and happy clucking around 🐔
💕

Flax seeds have protein and I had em layin' around. If the hens are cold like this morning, -8F, for 5 hens, i added a couple tablespoons of mealworms, small amount of flax, some 20% chic starter and hot water to their regular 16% layer feed. I have only 5 hens so I prepare this right at the kitchen counter. Yesterday i gave them some sardines and small amount of scrambled egg. little extra boosts of protein to help keep them warmer and get them movin'. We had drastic weather changes! 3 days ago, me and the hens were outside digging around in the ground. Yesterday and today its been in the negatives and wicked winds. ahh, we try our best, thats all we can do. Good luck and happy clucking around 🐔
💕
I’m amazed at the combos you guys come up with. Such great ideas. Cooked eggs are a power house. It’s very odd how excited my RIR get when I bring them a boiled egg. Maybe a nice boiled egg mash with some chia and flax seeds would be a nice addition. I’m going to start getting into the layer feed mash. I think they’d enjoy that.

I know this is an old thread but we are getting our first burp of freezing weather in central NC (hasn’t even FROST yet!! But temps plunging to 28F (was 85F for daytime high two days ago!) My 4 ISA Browns are in a construction with a half floor elevated housing.. they sleep in the bedding and on the rim of the floor frame. First flock. Yes I’m worried. Night Temps going back to 40s in two days

I know this is an old thread but we are getting our first burp of freezing weather in central NC (hasn’t even FROST yet!! But temps plunging to 28F (was 85F for daytime high two days ago!) My 4 ISA Browns are in a construction with a half floor elevated housing.. they sleep in the bedding and on the rim of the floor frame. First flock. Yes I’m worried. Night Temps going back to 40s in two days
You don't give their ages, but I searched and found in some of your other posts that they are fully grown and laying eggs.

For healthy adult chickens with normal feathers, who are roosting in a place with no heavy wind and not getting rained on, I think there is no reason to worry.

The reason for all those qualifiers: sick chickens or young chicks can have special needs, unusual feathers (like frizzles or frazzles) are not as warm as normal feathers, heavy wind can ruffle the feathers and steal the warm air that would otherwise keep the chicken warm, and being very wet can prevent the feathers from insulating properly (damp on the surface of the feathers is fine, like after they go for a walk in the rain. Soaking wet after having a bath or falling in a pond or spending hours in a heavy rain are the things that would be an issue.)

Mine have come through -35 degrees F, so 70 degrees colder than what you have.

Don't think warm or cold. THINK and WORRY about dry and DAMP. Damp chickens are cold, dry chickens are not. So as counter intuitive as it seems, do NOT shut up the coop tight to keep the heat in, what you keep in is the moisture.

Keep you coop open, protection from prevailing wind, and dry with deep bedding and ventilation.

Mine have come through -35 degrees F, so 70 degrees colder than what you have.

Don't think warm or cold. THINK and WORRY about dry and DAMP. Damp chickens are cold, dry chickens are not. So as counter intuitive as it seems, do NOT shut up the coop tight to keep the heat in, what you keep in is the moisture.

Keep you coop open, protection from prevailing wind, and dry with deep bedding and ventilation.
Mrs K, i like your style. Its clear you are one smart cookie when it comes to chickens! Thank you, I enjoyed your perspective :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom