How cold is too cold in the coop?

rileyelliott

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 21, 2013
I'm putting a little remote thermometer to monitor the temps this winter. I'm in upstate to NY and it can easily drop below 0*F on the cold cold days. I just have 3 birds (Copper Maran hens), so they've only got each other for warmth. I _really_ don't want to have to put a heater in, but don't know if anyone can let me know at what temp I should start maybe getting concerned about them.

As long as they are fully feathered out, they should be fine. I read a thread a couple years ago about a member in Alaska who never provided supplemental heat, and that's when I stopped worrying. They will grow thicker plumage in order to stay warm, and adding supplemental heat prevents that because their bodies don't feel the need since they're staying warm. Just add a couple inches of insulating bedding like straw to the base of the coop and they should be just fine.

They do better in the cold than they do in extreme heat.

Last edited:
Your area is where several of the New England breeds were developed, way before there was electricity. As long as they're dry and out of the wind, you don't need to worry. Folks on here routinely get down to -20 and their birds are just fine.

Back
Top Bottom