how cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mad_about_chicks!!!, Jan 21, 2009.

1. mad_about_chicks!!!

mad_about_chicks!!! New Egg

Jan 21, 2009
    Jacksonville, AL
    it has been getting down in the teens some here (AL) at night, mostly ranging from upper 20 to lower 40's. Aside from the laying issue, how cold is dangerous for the girls?

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    It has been well below zero here several times in the last 2 weeeks. All my birds are fine. Dampness & drafts are a bigger concern than low temps.

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

So long as they have a draft free coop they should be fine. Only when it got to -40&50 I added a heat lamp to keep the coop at 0.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Its according to the breed. Where you have a cold hardy breed they can stand very low temps if out of the wind and rain. If you have the meditteraeum( bad spelling day) breeds they require more help in that dept. What kind of hens do you have? jean

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Do a BYC topic search on "cold", and here it is...
    search results

Katrinag said it most succinctly. [​IMG]

Mine were fine to -35F (outside temp) in their coop. Inside was just above 0F.

6. cowpie

cowpie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    Dorset,Ohio
    it has been below 10 here for days!!!I could not be without my heated base for the metal waterer i use,my girls have water all day.I have a problem with frozen eggs,any ideas on that? I put extra straw in today to see if that helps.

7. katrinag

The only thing you can do is collect more often. However when had the nasty cold spells even when we collect every 2 hrs we still had frozen eggs.

8. ichoosehope

ichoosehope Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2008
    Southeast MI suburb
    Our eggs freeze too, but we put them in the fridge and in a couple hours they're thawed and usable [​IMG]

Temps outside have been near 0 here and in the coop and nesting box down to about 10. The only thing I worry about is the water as it can freeze fast. I have a light shining under the water dish so it stays fresh awhile so if anything it's the top layer that freezes first in this condition.

I check the water when I first wake up and right before going to bed again at night. And when I refill the water, it's a little on the warm (not hot) side.

9. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    -40 and -50 degree weather...are you kidding me? I was feeling sorry for myself because it got down in the 30's. Guess, I won't be feeling sorry for myself anymore.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  10. katrinag

It was cold and nasty, still pretty dang cold. Todays high was 13. Yippie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by