How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by purpletree23, Oct 15, 2009.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I have 4 hens that are 6 months old. My coop is a 8 X 10 shed with insulation in the walls and roof. I am using the deep litter method to keep the floor warm. They are out of drafts and the coop is not damp.

We live in New Hampshire and I am wondering what temperature is too cold for a chicken? At what temp should I add a heat light or small heater?

Thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    When the chickens are shivering, fluffed and sleepy all day long! Chickens are tough but...

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    There are many threads discussing this topic - this one is quite long, but many people from VERY cold places weighed in, and I think it's worth going through all the posts https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=97134&p=23

I
    live in north western Virginia and we had daytime highs in the 20s (Fahrenheit) for a stretch last year - below zero at night. The coop is insulated, but unheated, and each time I opened the coop in the mornings, the temp inside the coop was always about 15-20 degrees warmer. My chickens don't seem to mind the cold as much as they do the heat. I did have one roo get frost bit on his comb from staying outside all day in 20 degree weather with a whipping wind.

Hope that helps!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

it sounds as though you are set up for cold weather, and so long as the bottom of the coop and the roosting areas are draft-free the birds should be fine. Since you are using deep-litter method I assume you have enough ventilation high in the eaves to get ammonia out? If this is your first winter you can build a huddle box to ease your fears, but your climate is much like ours and I think you will be fine. Ise a 250W light from 5 am -8 am but not for the heat- it's to extend the daylight for my layers.

Some thoughts on winter

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  5. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the advice and the really informative threads. I feel better about their comfort this winter.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by