How cold is too cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Central Florida, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Central Florida

Central Florida Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    We are getting record cold here in Central Florida...last night it fell to the mid 20's and we are worried as we only have two full grown Buff Orpingtons and the coop is well ventilated with Hardware wire...do we need to cover up the openings....last night we left a light in the coop thinking it would give them additional heat....they are both still laying and don't seem to be bothered....but we would feel better hearing from experts

Thanks,

2. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Just make sure that you have a place for them to get out of any wind, rain, or snow and they will be fine. Need proof? Check this out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=282360

Post #8 has a video! Enjoy!

You could put tarps or plastic sheeting over any openings to help block the wind.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. FlaChickenMan

FlaChickenMan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Hastings, Florida
    I am over here in Largo, Fl. A bit warmer here but the last few nights have been in the mid 30's with a 20-30 knot wind. I got 3 RIR and i just put up blankets (from the hospital Cath lab I work at) around their coop to keep the wind out a bit and a couple of red heat lamps.

4. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    Buffs are pretty cold hardy but I think that you are correct to be concerned because they aren't used to that kind of temperature shift. By all means, try to block off most of the open areas, leave some for ventilation and feed them some warm food before bed. They will probably be okay. If you get really cold, heat some water almost to boiling, fill a gallon water jug with it, put the lid on and bury it in the shavings.

Mary

5. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    That is an awesome idea! we are getting record cold temps here tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

6. Central Florida

Central Florida Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    I appreciate the advice...I peeked at them early this morning when it was probably within a few degrees of the low and they didn't look cold at all....so I am not sure if it's getting too cold if you will see signs in their eyes or actions that will let you know...I hung the light near their roost and they were on the other side of the roost as far away as possible....maybe that's a sign I should just take it out? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by