How cold is too cold

Central Florida

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 19, 2008
We are getting record cold here in Central Florida...last night it fell to the mid 20's and we are worried as we only have two full grown Buff Orpingtons and the coop is well ventilated with Hardware wire...do we need to cover up the openings....last night we left a light in the coop thinking it would give them additional heat....they are both still laying and don't seem to be bothered....but we would feel better hearing from experts

Thanks,

I am over here in Largo, Fl. A bit warmer here but the last few nights have been in the mid 30's with a 20-30 knot wind. I got 3 RIR and i just put up blankets (from the hospital Cath lab I work at) around their coop to keep the wind out a bit and a couple of red heat lamps.

Buffs are pretty cold hardy but I think that you are correct to be concerned because they aren't used to that kind of temperature shift. By all means, try to block off most of the open areas, leave some for ventilation and feed them some warm food before bed. They will probably be okay. If you get really cold, heat some water almost to boiling, fill a gallon water jug with it, put the lid on and bury it in the shavings.

Mary

I appreciate the advice...I peeked at them early this morning when it was probably within a few degrees of the low and they didn't look cold at all....so I am not sure if it's getting too cold if you will see signs in their eyes or actions that will let you know...I hung the light near their roost and they were on the other side of the roost as far away as possible....maybe that's a sign I should just take it out? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom