How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by KyFiedChickens, Oct 20, 2013.

1. KyFiedChickens

KyFiedChickens New Egg

Oct 20, 2013
    I have 1 month old chicks that I want to move out of my garage. I have a heat light on them now and it is getting colder at night, in the 30's. When can they move to the barn and what provisions do they need?

2. DaddyBird

DaddyBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    They will need supplemental heat until they are fully feathered. We stepped ours down to a regular incandescent bulb when we moved them out to the coop but kept supplemental heat on them if the weather got below 60 until they were all fully feathered and had a little size to them.

3. ellie32526

ellie32526 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    North Texas
    The biggest thing is to protect them from drafts and extreme temperatures until they are fully feathered. They need about 90-95 degrees for the first week and reduce that 5 degrees each week until it is the same as the normal temp inside. If they are about a month old now that should be about 70-75 degrees. I'm not sure what kind of light you have but I have a 6X8 repurposed storage shed that has windows on all four sides for ventilation. As the temps go down, I close windows at dusk and sometimes leave a heat lamp on when it will be below 50. My hens are full grown now and all are laying regularly but I still try to maintain at least 60 degrees inside the house at night. No need to stress them out from the cold. I hope that helps. I'm no expert, I just do what works for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by