How Cold Is Your Coop?

billyb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2012
Cleveland, OH
Well it's 19 degrees here, and we have gotten 8 inches of snow in less then 2 days. How cold is it where you live? And how are you keeping your water from not freezing? Those are the icicles that formed over night, on my coop!

Last edited:
I live in Ontario, Canada and it is about -12 C (10 F). I keep my water from freezing with a 175W heat lamp right over the waterer. At night The lamp turns off so I bring the waterer inside. I have to wake up every morning at 6:30 AM to put the water back in.

Hi!!
We have had temps down to -20 on and off the past few weeks...scary! I have a metal double sided water heater that sits on a heated base. Other than that, I put up a heat lamp that I zip tied to the rafters for safety. I can NOT wait for the weather to warm up/

Although winter is nice, I'm getting a little tired of it too. A couple weeks ago it got down to -26 C and even with the heat lamp on I had to clear the waterer of ice often.

Last edited:
We had several nights (and days!) of -40 weather. I feed them extra and added chunks of fat/meat to their feed along with fibrous feeds (semi-moist bagged alfalfa left over from the goats) when the weather gets down below 20 degrees.

For water, they get fresh water twice a day, they know to fill up while it's fluid.

-40?
ep.gif

We have two large hen houses with 2500 hens in each. They are heated to 60 F during the winter. The bit of propane that I burn is cheaper than the feed that they would eat otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom