How cold to leave pop door open?

Since I don't know what your coop looks like or anything like that I can't tell you what will or won't work. But the cold is not much of an enemy, a direct breeze might be.
Thank you for your answers! Here are some photos... hopefully they'll give you a better idea & you can let me know what you think.
coop1 - Copy.jpg
coop2 - Copy.jpg
coop3 - Copy.jpg

I like that little extension to the run, if you could add something like plexi-glass, wood or cardboard to it to enclose it, it might add some wind break to it, otherwise I think you are fine leaving the door open until it gets really cold.

That you note that the coop smells poopy in the morning is a worrisome thing. That tells me that you don't have enough ventilation. It's practically impossible to provide enough ventilation in a short coop.

That's what I'm discovering. :( So probably better to leave that pop door open?
I was thinking of installing flaps over it - like a sliced plastic shower curtain - I wonder if that would work, to allow air and the girls through, but block any wind?

Small coops are more difficult to manage, sort of like small aquariums! Ideally, openings are mostly above the roosts, and in winter, closed to prevailing winds, and open on the leeward sides. Here in Michigan, that means covered on the north and west, and openings south and east. My birds go out in all temps, as long as they don't need to wade through snow. Then they complain and stay in their covered (cold) coop and run. The door to outside is opened every day anyway. Mary

IMG_0620.JPG We just finished wrapping the run walls with two layers of 4mil rolled plastic, leaving the upper areas open. It cuts the wind, but still plenty of ventilation. You could wrap the run walls too, and they will be protected from wind with the pop door open. Mary IMG_0622.JPG IMG_0623 (1).JPG

Have you ever walked around the corner of a building, and got out of the wind and it immediately felt MUCH warmer? That is what you want for your birds, wind protection.

In the mid west, our prevailing winds come from the North and west. Have your door on the South or east and you will most likely be fine. It is much worse to have them tight and warm, which really means moisture building up on the inside of the coop and on your hens. Damp chickens are cold, dry chickens are warm. They do produce a lot of body heat and will dry out feathers quickly once out of the rain or snow in cold temperatures.

It is more important to think dry, than it is to think warm.

Mrs K

Have you ever walked around the corner of a building, and got out of the wind and it immediately felt MUCH warmer? That is what you want for your birds, wind protection.

In the mid west, our prevailing winds come from the North and west. Have your door on the South or east and you will most likely be fine. It is much worse to have them tight and warm, which really means moisture building up on the inside of the coop and on your hens. Damp chickens are cold, dry chickens are warm. They do produce a lot of body heat and will dry out feathers quickly once out of the rain or snow in cold temperatures.

It is more important to think dry, than it is to think warm.

Mrs K

Great analogies, thanks. The pop door does face East, and the Southern and Western walls of the coop & run are protected by our house & a stone wall. I am thinking from what I've read here that leaving that pop door open is the better option - possibly with wind-proofing the little "connection" area from the coop to the run. I was also considering hanging a wool blanket from the ceiling of the coop - to the right of the door - so it falls like a wall between their roost and the pop door - I think that should take care of any drafts.

I really appreciate your & everyone's feedback! I haven't provided any supplemental heat for them; which took some bravery on my part. ;) So this is just another step in that direction... admitting that my chickens are not the same as my dog. Or myself. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom