1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How come each time- I find my silkie chicks dead?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wannabchick, May 2, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I have personally done alot ton of incubating...since December, many many hatches..

Now I have had a hatch of buff silkies and each one grew up

But each time...other then that time. If I have a silkie in with another group. That's the one find dead

I have tried 3 other times to hatch and purchase a silkie chick..if it's the only one in the group the next morning I find it dead.

Is it because it's just weaker, I can't say smaller because I have hatched a group of assorted bantams and once again it's the silkie I find dead.

Any ideas? So this doesn't happen again

Yesterday when I swore I would never get anymore I just had to when I saw the bin at tractor supply..that is really the only reason I decided on more is because I saw that one bin filled with bantams..and saw one silkie in the group..got more of others.

But yep sad to say the silkie didn't make it..this morning she was dead

Xoxoxoxo

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry this is happening to you! I don't think the silkies are necessarily "weaker", but perhaps their top knot is attracting more attention from its fellow chicks? There is a breed of bird--I think its silkies or polish--that can easily get brain damage if their feathers on their head are messed with.

I'm sorry I'm not much help. I know someone will come along who knows more about your problem [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by