How common are deformed chicks

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
I am planning a hatch in a few months and am starting to learn everything I can (I know basics of incubation just starting to learn all the details). I have seen/heard of people on here that have hatched deformed chicks. I know this happens, it's just a part of hatching but how common is it? Have you experienced any deformed chicks? How bad was the deformity (like splay leg or curled toes or more severe like missing eye or something where chick had to be put down)? How did/would you treat deformed chicks? I am willing to care for any deformed chick if it can live a good life even with help. I am willing to care for a adult bird with a small disability like blind in one eye or a limp.
Thank,
Future hatcher

I am planning a hatch in a few months and am starting to learn everything I can (I know basics of incubation just starting to learn all the details). I have seen/heard of people on here that have hatched deformed chicks. I know this happens, it's just a part of hatching but how common is it? Have you experienced any deformed chicks? How bad was the deformity (like splay leg or curled toes or more severe like missing eye or something where chick had to be put down)? How did/would you treat deformed chicks? I am willing to care for any deformed chick if it can live a good life even with help. I am willing to care for a adult bird with a small disability like blind in one eye or a limp.
Thank,
Future hatcher
Depends on multiple factors, such as parent stock genetics, dietary intake, as well as incubation factors, high temp, low temp, high humidity, low humidity, egg turning, storage of eggs before incubating, etc, etc.

Most of the deformities I have experienced were curled toes, a few wry necks and a few crossed beak. I use to keep the wry necked ones but after some time of dealing with them, I now cull. The crossed beaks depends on the severity, whether I cull or not cull.

Here's an article that might help explain your question in more detail.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...sQFXoECAAQAg&usg=AOvVaw1EGRN6sA5LcwdhBdjO6iR6

Last edited:
Where are the eggs coming from? Some deformities are genetic…so, use healthy stock as parents. Some deformities are nutrition based- and so a hen that lays the egg to be incubated can benefit from certain supplements leading up to when that egg is laid to be incubated.

My main issues are usually crooked toes and stargazing, both of which usually can be fixed fairly simple. Crossbars are somewhat common, but I don't dare keep and breed those so it's lessened over the years here. Everything else is usually a once off or from a hatchery

Back
Top Bottom