1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How cool!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aemelia, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Look what my city is doing! We can have 2 hens in town without a permit. Our local community corps group is helping people get chickens.

http://www.communitycrops.org/chicks

Raise your own Chickens!
    Community CROPS has Rhode Island Red laying hens available for you to raise in your backyard!

Pick Up on May 9
    The birds will be 8 weeks old, feathered out and ready to live outdoors. (No need to brood them.)

$26 for 2 pullets plus enough organic feed for another 12 weeks, at which point you'll switch them to layer feed. With the 2 pullets, you'll receive 22# organic grower feed.

What to bring:

* A container for the feed. Recommendation: 5-gallon bucket with lid. (For reference, one 5-gallon bucket holds 25-30# feed.)

* A box for your birds.

Pick up pullets between 4-6pm at Sunset Community Farm, SW 40th and West F St. - map

Orders for pullets must be placed by April 15th. Limited quantities available!

2. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    That is so cool. I just called to find out what the regulations are where I live I am thinking that there won't be a problem since we are primarily an agricultural community but better safe than sorry. So cool to see that people are promoting getting chickens into cities as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by