How could someone do this?

Clementine2022

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
Mt Plymouth, FL
someone tossed this poor guy from a car. The powder on him smells like it could be an insecticide. I bathed him, got as much off as I could. He is now in a cage outside, far away from my flock. He is rattling when he breathes. Not standing well. I think one leg maybe injured. I don't know if he is going to make it, but he will at least have felt the love of someone who cares at the end of his life. I wonder how this person sleeps at night?
20230429_102947.jpg

I would say somebody took a fire extinguisher to the flogging aggressive rooster and dumped him out.
David you have quite an imagination!

The OP said it smells like insecticide. Very likely it's dried/clumped on permethrin or sevin dust.
Giving the rooster a wash up with a little warm water with a mild soap (Ivory, Baby Shampoo or Original Dawn) should remove most of the material.

@Clementine2022 you mention rattling when breathing which is a concern. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but sadly sometimes birds are dumped because they have respiratory disease. Could be that he's just inhaled too much of the dust that is clumped on him.
Do look inside his beak for any signs of Canker, yellow or white pasty material as well.

Photos of all of him when you can. It's kind of you to take him in and do what's best for him.

I have been without wifi because a tree fell and ripped wiring from my house. I will get pictures tomorrow. He's standing well now. Just so afraid. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to let him out of the cage so he can scratch a bit.
He's standing on it great now. Maybe he was just weak when he was first brought me. He looks like an old man. He gets more color to his comb everyday. He was sounding off a little today, but not crowing. I think there may still be some powder stuck in his throat. He's eating and drinking well. I wanted to bring him out of the cage today but he's so scared. He's not clambering into a corner tonight, so maybe tomorrow. I want to trim his spurs. But need someone to help me with that. I don't want him freaking out and injuring me or himself. He has the sharpest I've seen.

Attachments

• 20230502_183238.jpg
    20230502_183238.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230502_183246.jpg
    20230502_183246.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230502_183253.jpg
    20230502_183253.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 10
He's standing on it great now. Maybe he was just weak when he was first brought me. He looks like an old man. He gets more color to his comb everyday. He was sounding off a little today, but not crowing. I think there may still be some powder stuck in his throat. He's eating and drinking well. I wanted to bring him out of the cage today but he's so scared. He's not clambering into a corner tonight, so maybe tomorrow. I want to trim his spurs. But need someone to help me with that. I don't want him freaking out and injuring me or himself. He has the sharpest I've seen.
I don’t know anything about chickens and roosters but he looks a bit better than the original picture you showed.

He looks like a blue copper maran. He looks so much better! Glad u were able to help him!

Back
Top Bottom