How could someone do this?

Clementine2022

Songster
Nov 5, 2022
Mt Plymouth, FL
someone tossed this poor guy from a car. The powder on him smells like it could be an insecticide. I bathed him, got as much off as I could. He is now in a cage outside, far away from my flock. He is rattling when he breathes. Not standing well. I think one leg maybe injured. I don't know if he is going to make it, but he will at least have felt the love of someone who cares at the end of his life. I wonder how this person sleeps at night?
20230429_102947.jpg

I suggest cleaning out his nostrils the best you can. Get him to drink some cold, clean water. It might be best to do that with a syringe so he doesn't swallow what's on his beak. (If you do a syringe, be very cautious how you much you give him at once. If you give him a lot at a time, he could accidentally choke on it or it go down the wrong hole.) Offer him some moist mash too. (If you don't have mash, you can make some by throwing your pellets in a blender or smoothie cup.) If his feathers are all caked with that stuff, trim some of it out. If you're willing to try this, rubbing alcohol might help get some of that stuff off, but I'm not sure because I've never used it on something like that. (I use it to get spray paint off my hands, so that's why I'm thinking it might work.)

Can you get pictures of his leg? Because he was thrown out of a car, he could have road rash in a few places. Look for any raw skin anywhere, especially amongst his feathers just in case you've missed something. I would treat any open wounds with Hydrogen Peroxide for the first cleaning and a Saline rinse for the cleanings after that.

I suggest cleaning out his nostrils the best you can. Get him to drink some cold, clean water. It might be best to do that with a syringe so he doesn't swallow what's on his beak. (If you do a syringe, be very cautious how you much you give him at once. If you give him a lot at a time, he could accidentally choke on it or it go down the wrong hole.) Offer him some moist mash too. (If you don't have mash, you can make some by throwing your pellets in a blender or smoothie cup.) If his feathers are all caked with that stuff, trim some of it out. If you're willing to try this, rubbing alcohol might help get some of that stuff off, but I'm not sure because I've never used it on something like that. (I use it to get spray paint off my hands, so that's why I'm thinking it might work.)

Can you get pictures of his leg? Because he was thrown out of a car, he could have road rash in a few places. Look for any raw skin anywhere, especially amongst his feathers just in case you've missed something. I would treat any open wounds with Hydrogen Peroxide for the first cleaning and a Saline rinse for the cleanings after that.
I will get pictures tomorrow. He's doing much better. I have crumbles. He seems to prefer them wet.

someone tossed this poor guy from a car. The powder on him smells like it could be an insecticide. I bathed him, got as much off as I could. He is now in a cage outside, far away from my flock. He is rattling when he breathes. Not standing well. I think one leg maybe injured. I don't know if he is going to make it, but he will at least have felt the love of someone who cares at the end of his life. Karma's a bitch. I wonder how this person sleeps at night?
View attachment 3486474
That’s horrible! People like that should be whipped. Thank you for finding him and taking care of him. I don’t know anything about chickens but I hope he makes it. Poor thing looks traumatized.
Looks like you are getting help!
Keep us updated please.

I would say somebody took a fire extinguisher to the flogging aggressive rooster and dumped him out.
David you have quite an imagination!

The OP said it smells like insecticide. Very likely it's dried/clumped on permethrin or sevin dust.
Giving the rooster a wash up with a little warm water with a mild soap (Ivory, Baby Shampoo or Original Dawn) should remove most of the material.

@Clementine2022 you mention rattling when breathing which is a concern. Hopefully it's nothing serious, but sadly sometimes birds are dumped because they have respiratory disease. Could be that he's just inhaled too much of the dust that is clumped on him.
Do look inside his beak for any signs of Canker, yellow or white pasty material as well.

Photos of all of him when you can. It's kind of you to take him in and do what's best for him.

Back
Top Bottom