How could someone do this?

He's standing on it great now. Maybe he was just weak when he was first brought me. He looks like an old man. He gets more color to his comb everyday. He was sounding off a little today, but not crowing. I think there may still be some powder stuck in his throat. He's eating and drinking well. I wanted to bring him out of the cage today but he's so scared. He's not clambering into a corner tonight, so maybe tomorrow. I want to trim his spurs. But need someone to help me with that. I don't want him freaking out and injuring me or himself. He has the sharpest I've seen.
He looks like a blue copper maran. He looks so much better! Glad u were able to help him!

that's what I'm thinking. He's an older bird. you can tell his spurs have been trimmed, but they come to a very sharp point. I have no idea what breed he is. He is long and slender. He's lost a lot of feathers, maybe plucked? A lot are broken from being tossed from the vehicle.

yes! I am a fairly new chicken mom. I'm still learning, but I was thinking this bird may need his beak trimmed. He does eat good.
I apologize if I sound off base or ridiculous but I’ve been following this and it occurred to me could this rooster possibly have been used in cock fights? Sharpened spurs(I’m assuming you mean his claws) loss of feathers, and he had toxic residue on him. Just a thought.

I apologize if I sound off base or ridiculous but I’ve been following this and it occurred to me could this rooster possibly have been used in cock fights? Sharpened spurs(I’m assuming you mean his claws) loss of feathers, and he had toxic residue on him. Just a thought.
SMH

Sigh...

Yep, thought this thread would try to slowly lead there. Always some kind of something odd comes up when someone finds a rooster.

Oh yes, dead right. Right on. That's got to be exactly what's been done and gone on.
I'm sure everyone knows all there is to know about the subject.

I'm out.

Peace Ya'll!
Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV

SMH

Sigh...

Yep, thought this thread would try to slowly lead there. Always some kind of something odd comes up when someone finds a rooster.

Oh yes, dead right. Right on. That's got to be exactly what's been done and gone on.
I'm sure everyone knows all there is to know about the subject.

I'm out.

Peace Ya'll!
Im Out Amy Poehler GIF by FOX TV
Geez-sorry if I shook your feathers.
Was just trying to help figure out what could’ve happen to this bird so the keeper can help him recover.

I know you can't see the spurs here. He started to freak out a little so I stopped taking pictures. I want to get him out of that cage so he can walk about a bit, but I need help... if I can't get these teenager's to help me, I will see if I can find someone in the neighborhood. Another chicken parent.
Can you set up a small pen for him? Another thing to do is let him out an hour or 30 minutes before dusk under your stict supervision. That way, he can get some time out to free range and will be easy to catch by roosting (he might return to his coop on his own).
Sharpened spurs don't really mean anything though. I've had several males develop incredibly sharp spurs, just from being old and not trimming them like some people do to keep them dull
Same here. One of my bantam roosters had spurs so sharp that the tip felt like a needle. Another one of my roosters had such scary spurs that when I rehomed him because I was retiring him, the person getting him almost didn't take him because he was scared of the rooster's spurs. (The rooster was a good rooster who wasn't mean or anything like that.)

As far as the cockfighting issue, that's a common first thought. (I've even deal with that thought on my first rescued rooster I got in my first year of chicken keeping.) With this rooster, he doesn't appear to be a breed that would be used for such illegal activity, so I highly doubt that's the case. Another thing to consider is roosters literally get abandoned all the time (in cities, back roads, and the most common place of abandonment: farms, both private and non private, that has chickens, which may very well be why he got abandoned at your place). People accidentally get a rooster when they didn't want one, discover they can't have roosters in their area, or the rooster turns mean, and they don't know how to rightfully deal with it. In this case, the poor bird could have gotten into whatever was on him, and a possible vet bill scared the owner and they did what they "thought was best" (which clearly never is).

Can you set up a small pen for him? Another thing to do is let him out an hour or 30 minutes before dusk under your stict supervision. That way, he can get some time out to free range and will be easy to catch by roosting (he might return to his coop on his own).

Same here. One of my bantam roosters had spurs so sharp that the tip felt like a needle. Another one of my roosters had such scary spurs that when I rehomed him because I was retiring him, the person getting him almost didn't take him because he was scared of the rooster's spurs. (The rooster was a good rooster who wasn't mean or anything like that.)

As far as the cockfighting issue, that's a common first thought. (I've even deal with that thought on my first rescued rooster I got in my first year of chicken keeping.) With this rooster, he doesn't appear to be a breed that would be used for such illegal activity, so I highly doubt that's the case. Another thing to consider is roosters literally get abandoned all the time (in cities, back roads, and the most common place of abandonment: farms, both private and non private, that has chickens, which may very well be why he got abandoned at your place). People accidentally get a rooster when they didn't want one, discover they can't have roosters in their area, or the rooster turns mean, and they don't know how to rightfully deal with it. In this case, the poor bird could have gotten into whatever was on him, and a possible vet bill scared the owner and they did what they "thought was best" (which clearly never is).
The only reason I mentioned it was due to how he was found and seen thrown out. Thought it was important in that he could be cared for appropriately with care for him as well as caution for the member. I don’t agree with how animals are many times disposed of but unfortunately it’s an ongoing battle.
Good luck to you all and I’m thankful he has someone looking after his well-being.

Back
Top Bottom