How creeped out should I be by our bananas right now?

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
Alright, the kids and I were at the grocery and went to buy bananas. We always have a contest to see who can get the greenest ones so we all grab a bunch. The ones my oldest son grabbed had a small, white, web looking patch. I said I thought it looked like a spider egg and flicked it with my fingernail. Immediately, bunches of tiny, baby spiders started running out of it all over the bananas. I looked at the label and they are imported from Costa Rica so I figured I better tell someone. Gave them to a worker who seemed pretty freaked out. Checked my bunch and no spiders so I bought them. Got them home and my kids were afraid to eat them so I pulled them apart to show them they were alright. Yeah.....well, there was some freaky little whitish, mite looking bug attached to the top of one. So now the kids have sworn off bananas forever and I am wondering just how safe they really are.

Last edited:
Well, that is pretty awful!!! But, on the bright side, at least they arent loaded with pesticides... Hmmm, that just isnt as comforting as it should be, is it?
tongue.png

Well, asher, when the kids were little I carried Lysol in case I needed the changing table, so I guess I could just switch the bug spray, now.
smile.png

Well, that is pretty awful!!! But, on the bright side, at least they arent loaded with pesticides... Hmmm, that just isnt as comforting as it should be, is it?

LOL...yeah, I am sitting here trying to decide on the lesser of two evils!!!

I am NOT bothered by bugs....unless I have no clue what they are or how harmful they may be!!!

Yeah, I would recommend everyone check them first! I have been calling everyone I know saying OMG check your bananas!!! LOL They probably think I have gone crazy!!​

Last edited:
eewwwww, you gotta call the manager of that store. Maybe he or she can contact the place whoever sold them the banannas. Thanks for the post, I'll be checking my produce more carefully.

Well, I just called and they basically acted like I was crazy and said "Uh huh....we will look at the bananas. Have a nice night." So I suppose they aren't too terribly concerned. I just hope those spiders aren't anything too bad.

I had a banana with a passenger also...I swore off bananas for quite a while...These also came from Costa Rica, but I had a caterpillar on mine. We name him Scrunch and he became a moth eventually...

Oh Spotted Crow! I was just getting ready to PM you to come tell us about Scrunch!

Because of Scrunch, I always check my bananas before I eat them!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom