How deep to start deep litter method

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
How deep is your bedding when you start (new slate) the deep litter method?

Can it be too deep (for adult/pullets chickens) ?

Thank you!

I usually keep my coop with 1-2 inches of shavings in the summer. In the fall, I'll place 3" of shavings on the floor, as there are warn, soiled areas, I'll place more shavings to "freshen" up the area. Like I said, toss in to freshen up and that is how you become a deep litter coop keeper. There is a lot of insulation with the deep litter and it will also give off some heat (not enough to notice), not sure if its insulation or composting.
Because of the cold here in Maine, I will also hang something to cover the top 1/3 of the door. A grain bag, fabric or plastic attached at the top only, then it helps keep the heat from whooshing out the top of the door when you open it.
big_smile.png

I'm doing around 2-3 inches of shavings. Works great, especially once I have enough DE - It never smells bad.

I don't think you can have it too deep, mostly because the chickens pack it down by walking on it.

In summer I put 1 1/2 inches of wood shavings down and in winter I get 3 hay bails to build little draft protectors and cubbyholes.

bun.gif
jumpy.gif
bun.gif
jumpy.gif

wee.gif

♫Gracie♫

Last edited:
I am a little confused about this too...first timer.
I started with about 2 inches of shavings and have been mixing it when it gets full of poop. I have added shavings to the top a couple of times but it all seems too dry to start the composting. It seems like the poops just dry into little nuggets and get mixed around when I stir. There is no smell. Do I have too much shavings?

I use pine shavings and I sprinkle food grade Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on the shavings. Also my roosts in my coop are over wire which allows the poop through and I sprinkle the DE over the poop too. The pine shavings are on the floor in the rest of the coop. I periodically add some shavings and more DE until I have approx 4/6in. I clean my coop once a year. Once in awhile I throw some scratch on the shaving and let the chickens mix it up. They so a very good job. I have no problems with flies, stink and such. My pine shavings stay nice and dry easy to clean out. I put them in my compost pile. which every once in awhile I give a toss to keep it mixed up with the other stuff that goes in. sprinkle with water and let it cook. I move my coop and chicken yard about every 3 months approx, clean up the poop under the roost and it goes into the compost. I grow so much produce that I give most of it away. My soil is low in acid so I think the pine shavings are good for my soil. I usually buy the pine shavings at my local feed store. They were out before, so I have bought some in the pet department at Wal-Mart.

Last edited:
cmom - When you throw DE on the pine shavings, do you mix it in with a rake, or just let it set on top the shavings and let the chickens do the mixing?

Back
Top Bottom