how did he die?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
i had a silkie rooster who i used to have until he crowed to much and was rehoused at a little community farm. I go their every 2 or 3 weeks to visit the farm and see duke my old roster. the other day i went to see him and found him rotting in the middle of the poultry yard
sad.png
he didn't look attacked so he must have died from a disease i guess. I was wondering if it could have something to do with all the other birds being vaccinated for mareks and him not? a week before he died i noticed that his comb and wattles were turning more purple not the usual blue. i thought i was just him getting older but do you think it could have been a sing of illness. anyone have any ideas on how he could have died and could it infect the rest of the flock?

I don't think anyone will be able to provide much of a diagnosis with such a small amount of information.

Frankly, I'd be hesitant to let any other birds go there if he was "rotting" in the poultry yard. A place that doesn't take care to clean up dead animals before they rot might not be taking care of them properly while alive.

Quote:
i agree. i feel bad about sending him there but i don't know where else i could have put him because other then that it would have been butchering him. i often see dead birds their, their is definitely a over crowding issue with the flock and about 25% of the flock is roosters
hmm.png

I understand your reason for sending him there. I'm sorry he didn't make it.

If they often have dead birds then they may have some sort of disease circulating. If they frequently bring in new birds then this is more likely.

Back
Top Bottom