How did I get an olive colored egg??

Sanna

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Connecticut
I didn't really know where else to post this. I guess this might go under the genetics so I'll try my luck here.

I found a little olive colored egg in one of our coops the other day. It is about the size of a quarter, maybe a little bigger. The question is, how did we end up with this olive colored egg??? We don't have olive eggers. This egg came out of a pen with some RIR's, EE's and other mixed hens that lay white and light brown eggs. I think there's a Naked Neck hen in there also. On a normal day we get white, brown and the turqoise/greenish easter egger eggs out of this pen.

The only one that could have laid this egg is Lucille. She's probably closer to 6 months old now.
This is Lucille as a little chick. I don't have any recent pictures of her.

Mom has to be one of these two girls. I have no idea what color eggs they lay. White, brown, green...I don't know? And I'm pretty sure dad was a white crested black polish rooster. We've also had a golden laced polish rooster and some greyish looking EE guy in the pen. All at different times, but if my memory is correct, it was the WCB polish rooster that was in the pen at the time when Lucille was hatched. And our EE hens...there's one that is an Ameraucana but doesn't fit the standard so she's just an EE. And we also have a white hen that is some sort of a white maran mix that lays the turqoise eggs.

So, is it possible that we got an olive egger out of the chickens we had?? And what really is an olive egger? Just a chicken that lays olive colored eggs or is there a standard they have to meet in order to be an olive egger?

I read a little bit about olive eggers and if I understood correctly, by crossing the turqoise colored egg (EE?) over a brown egg would produce an olive egg?

I'm confused!
th.gif

Here is our little olive egg in the middle. RIR egg on top, polish egg on left, EE egg on bottom and silkie or cochin bantam egg on right (not sure which, one of the two).

Id imagine that is an ee+ brown egg layer egg. if the girls are ee's what roo do you have that gives brown or dark brown eggs?
The only roosters that were in that pen were the two polish and an EE.
So maybe the father was the EE after all and mom was one of the two girls I posted pictures of..and she lays brown eggs. That would be the only way it would be possible for us to have an olive egg layer, right?

Back
Top Bottom