sscaria

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
today was a sad day :( my sister's white leghorn (Yello) abruptly died. well, not so quite abruptly...

maybe around late 2020, like november, we saw her getting chased around by the other chickens. we picked her up to see her butt extremely bloody. We snipped off her butt feathers and cleaned the area. We brought her inside and fed her onions and vegetables. She got better. Maybe yesterday or the day before yesterday, we found her in the same situation, except there wasn't a lot of blood. We cleaned her up, but put her back with her buds. She wasn't pecked. She was very weak and her tail was down a little later. We let her free range for a little and she seemed to get better, so we let her be. Then, today around 12:30 or so, she was in the egg-laying place. She looked dead. We tapped her, but she wasn't responding, so we shook her and she just barely responded. She put her head up. We held her and brought her outside, but she wasn't moving, it was just her head. Her eyes were extremely dilated; you could barely see her amber eyes. She flapped her wings and I dropped her, thinking she was gonna run or something, but instantly regretting it at the same time. She collapsed on the floor, legs not moving. I picked her up. I was wondering why her mouth wasn't moving, so I 'pried' it open. There was a thick mucus layer. The mucus stretched as I opened her mouth, and her mouth was full of it. I handed her to my brother. She shook in his arms and let out her last breath. She bowed her head down, and that was the end of her. I had no idea what happened...

Now, the thing is, she layed TWO LARGE eggs the day she got a bloody butt. I can't remember if she layed after that or not, but I don't think so. She was so lethargic and stuff. Today, as she was dying, I checked her butt. It looked like something...clear was coming out or something, I'm not sure what it was. Based on that one thing, I randomly guessed that there was a broken egg inside of her, and the whites of the egg was coming out. Don't believe me though, I'm kind of a noob about chicken health and stuff. Still gotta learn. But what ever happened to her? I'll post a memorial for her in the next post and attach some pictures. I can't post any pictures of her with her symptoms, so I'm sorry, but I drew a bad diagram I guess.

Please try to make any suggestions on what happened to her, and if you think you know someone that can help, tag them down below. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-12 4.50.14 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 4.50.14 PM.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 14
It sounds like some sort of respiratory illness, I'm sorry you lost her.
How was her crop and poop?
For future note, onions are bad for chickens.
oh... ok :(

I'm not too sure about the poop, but my brother says it was on the drier side (idk if it's true or not) Her crop was constantly pulsing, it seems like she was trying to poop something out, there was a liiittlle bit of poop stuck, though

also, thank you! I'll keep that in mind.

oh... ok :(

I'm not too sure about the poop, but my brother says it was on the drier side (idk if it's true or not) Her crop was constantly pulsing, it seems like she was trying to poop something out, there was a liiittlle bit of poop stuck, though

also, thank you! I'll keep that in mind.
Hmm, could she had had a blockage?

Back
Top Bottom