1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How did my hen die?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RochfoKev, Aug 27, 2013.

1. RochfoKev

RochfoKev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi, today i found my first dead chicken from my flock, last night she seemed fine but this morning was dead :(
    No obvious signs of death, no bite marks, i checked for broken bones, could not see diorhea or blood in the fesis
    The only thing that looked slightly out of place was her vent hole that looked red but no wet blood around or inside.
    The other 3 hens in that coop seem ok, 2 are running around now and the other is sitting on an egg, maybe gone broody?
    Have a look at her vent, see what you think, i dont know much about this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vent look a bit red and sore, anyone can tell

Thanks

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pick the scab off and let us know what you find. Also, stick your finger in and check for an egg or mass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Kathy

3. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    ok will do, she laid an egg yesterday and the day before so maybe not an egg mass problem?

4. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    Ok, done that, i removed the brown scab/poo and there was just more redness but no liquid blood, i put my fingers inside and felt a whole egg and squeezes it out, its a little lighter in colour than usual, inside seems normal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think i am more concerned that it could have been something infectious so I'm hoping its natural causes

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    She probably died trying to lay the egg, so I think you're fine.

-Kathy

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You might want to make sure your other hens have a source of fresh oyster shells.

-Kathy

7. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    Thanks casportpony for the fast replies, i'll go and check the oyster shell now, thanks for your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by