How did my hen die?

RochfoKev

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 30, 2013
Hi, today i found my first dead chicken from my flock, last night she seemed fine but this morning was dead :(
No obvious signs of death, no bite marks, i checked for broken bones, could not see diorhea or blood in the fesis
The only thing that looked slightly out of place was her vent hole that looked red but no wet blood around or inside.
The other 3 hens in that coop seem ok, 2 are running around now and the other is sitting on an egg, maybe gone broody?
Have a look at her vent, see what you think, i dont know much about this.

Vent look a bit red and sore, anyone can tell

Thanks

Pick the scab off and let us know what you find. Also, stick your finger in and check for an egg or mass.

-Kathy

ok will do, she laid an egg yesterday and the day before so maybe not an egg mass problem?

Ok, done that, i removed the brown scab/poo and there was just more redness but no liquid blood, i put my fingers inside and felt a whole egg and squeezes it out, its a little lighter in colour than usual, inside seems normal

I think i am more concerned that it could have been something infectious so I'm hoping its natural causes

Thanks casportpony for the fast replies, i'll go and check the oyster shell now, thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom