How did my hen manage to hatch her eggs?

Yea i guess this will just be a very weird mystery ill never find out. But i am definitely not lying
No one's saying you're lying. But you must have had a rooster come by un observed , because there's no other answer.
Why are you letting your hen sit on eggs if you knew they weren't fertile?

I have this hen which i got like 6 months ago from the farm and the eggs she layed when we first got her did not hatch, but 6 months later she managed to make 2 chicks hatch. How is this possible if there is no rooster or can hens lay ferilised eggs after mating (when she was at the farm with other roosters) from months ago? The only other chicken staying with this hen is another hen, we have no roosters.
You say “like 6 months ago” as if you’re uncertain. Are you absolutely sure that you’ve had her that long? I know it’s improbable, but my guess would be that the father of her chicks is one of the roosters from that farm.
The other chicken is definitely a hen and no we dont have neighbours with chickens. These are the only two hens we have and the brown goldish hen (Amercauna?) is the one who hatched these two chicks
View attachment 2387271
She’s a beautiful hen! Do you have more pictures of her?

I have this hen which i got like 6 months ago from the farm and the eggs she layed when we first got her did not hatch, but 6 months later she managed to make 2 chicks hatch. How is this possible if there is no rooster or can hens lay ferilised eggs after mating (when she was at the farm with other roosters) from months ago? The only other chicken staying with this hen is another hen, we have no roosters.

I'm a newish owner. I've read a lot about this (mostly by accident)... So, the roosters/cockerels inject their sperm and the hen can then lay fertilized eggs for 4 days to 4+ weeks!!!

This just happened to me today!!! >> so, we bought 5 chicks June 2019. One ended up being a roo, which I had to rehome about when quarantine started. We were devastated to have to rehome him so I got a wild hair to incubate the fertilized eggs we were clearly getting.

Flash forward to 3 months later when we promptly figured out that 5 out of the 9 babies are boys. So I had to rehome them also but only after they turned 4 months.

So, I've been patiently waiting this whole time for the pullets to start laying eggs (since they're 5 months old now)--mostly because I couldn't wait to see what color eggshells we'd get. Their dad is an Americauana/or Easter Egger... Past few days, we are now getting 1 of not 2 from new pullets--but just today did I crack them open. DEFINITELY FERTILIZED EGGS--and literally the pullets first eggs!!! So, I know for a fact that their brothers were mounting them all several times each day for at least 2 months before I rehomed them about a month ago -- 5/6 weeks ago.

So, if your hens are new, or first time layers--i am sure that it's entirely possible they were fertilized from their last hohome.

Back
Top Bottom