How did my hen manage to hatch her eggs?

Pics
Just wondering if you only have two colors of eggs, because each hen lays a specific color. I can always tell which egg came from which chicken and I have a nine of them.I would say that if you have more than two different tints of eggs then somebody is pulling a prank. Have any of your friends or family ever owned chickens? Usually people that have never own chickens do not know about the whole brooding process. It could be some weird kind of miracle on the other hand.
Yea that’s a great question! I didn’t even think to ask that.

Just curious, why did you let her set on eggs for that long? She was obviously broody and in the nest box? And you never collected eggs? Or did she have a hidden nest in the bushes somewhere? I have a question for the experts. If she started a nest in an unknown location, how long could those eggs sit before she decided to set on them?

If a hen can change sex (and back again as one lady's has done here), is it within the realm of possibility that she somehow fertilized herself?
No.
Birds don't actually "change sex".
They may change plumage and behaviors due to damaged ovary(they only have one) ,
which changes their hormone balances, but a hen showing male attributes will never have testicles.

I'm thinking OP is pulling y'all's leg here but if I'm wrong, interesting thread!
This is my thought as well.

Other possibility is that “like 6 months”, being a guestimate of time, might only be 2-3 months. Then if you consider there could have been a few eggs hidden/unnoticed and uncollected for a few weeks in the cooler weather this time of year, then we are looking at a more feasible time frame.

Back
Top Bottom