How did my rooster die?

Brandy Hurley

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2018
Yesterday, around 7, I realized I hadn't seen or heard my rooster in a while. I decided to go look for him. I ended up finding his body upside down, on his back, by the side of my house. I checked around his body and I found there was no blood or wounds anywhere on his body but it seemed like there was a bit of a bald spot on his neck. Have any of you experienced this type of thing or have any idea on how he died?

Okay, thank you so much everyone! It sounds like, from what you said and my research, he had a heart attack. Thank you for your help and support!

Yesterday, around 7, I realized I hadn't seen or heard my rooster in a while. I decided to go look for him. I ended up finding his body upside down, on his back, by the side of my house. I checked around his body and I found there was no blood or wounds anywhere on his body but it seemed like there was a bit of a bald spot on his neck. Have any of you experienced this type of thing or have any idea on how he died?
I'm sorry for your loss:hugs
Without a necropsy there is now way to know what he died from. If you lose another one, utilize your state lab system so you can get some answers.

When a bird dies, there is residual muscle and nerve reflexes which cause them to flop, twist, twitch, flap and the body can move around, so you may find them in all kinds of positions - the position is usually not a "tell" of any condition or disease that the bird may have had, it is simply the position in which the body came to rest.

Back
Top Bottom