How did this get so complicated? I need advice.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by glowgirl, Oct 29, 2011.

1. glowgirl

glowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    First we had a hen, Egg, go broody. She was determined so.....

I bid on eggs, Maran eggs, here in the forum. Then......

I asked my husband if we should get eggs for Egg since she was broody (yes, after I bid blush) and he said "I will run up to the neighbors and get a dozen fertile eggs" and I said ok and thought "well I won't win"

Of course......., I won the auction. But now Egg had eggs under her so I told my husband to buy an incubator. Got eggs, set eggs, they have 5 days til hatch date.

3 days ago Bones, another leghorn hen, went missing. I cried, assumed it was a hawk after searching for two days.

Today Eggs clutch hatched. 9 beautiful chicks!

Also today I spotted Bones in the yard. Yay she was alive! But where had she been? So we watched and waited and watched and finally tailed her back to a spot she had been brooding in, with 15 infertile eggs in a nest!!!!

So I waited until tonight, went out and gathered her up and all of her infertile eggs and stuck her in the coop with her eggs under her. Now.........

Do I stick the eggs from the incubator under her and hope she will be satisfied, and not confused, by Maran eggs that hatch way too soon? Do I run down to the neighbors and put a dozen more fresh fertile eggs under her and let her have a normal hatch?

I can't take her infertile eggs away, she seems very desperate to keep them.

I am confused. Why did I get 2 broody white leghorns any way??

Tell me what you would do please???

[​IMG]

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Take some of the eggs in the 'bator and put them under her. Keep an eye on her and if she looks like she has abandoned the eggs put them back in the incubator...

Easy as pie.

Congrats on your chicks!

3. glowgirl

glowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    Milwaukie
    Oh that does seem like a simple solution! Ok I will give that a go. I was just sitting her thinking I was going to have 20 little chicks!

4. BHep

BHep Overrun With Chickens

Nov 20, 2010
    Faison, NC
    Quote:X2

Good Luck & Congrats ! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by