How did you find your way in the chicken world?

My husband always bought eggs from a fellow worker. Then this year my husbands plant shut down and we had to buy store bought eggs. ugh..... So I ask him how hard is it to raise chickens.(he raised them as a child) He told me not hard and we went from there. I now have 21 chickens and love every minute of it. They are such great fun......My whole family enjoys just watching them.
D.gif

Me? How did I get into chickens? I was completely baboozeled and tricked into getting chickens. Dont laugh, I was. I was looking for cattle forums because the idea is to put 3 steers into the back pasture in March. Still gonna. But, when doing the search somehow or another (I'm sure its a scam somehow) I "accidently" clicked onto this forum and now all of the sudden I have a new brooder and 20 pullets at my address. I've got my eye on yall now. I'm watching very closely.

I even bought yogurt for the pullets yesterday.

I went to a poultry show one year..
went again the next year and left with a pullet and a cockerel... and here I am now!

My dd wanted chickens so I called DH, who was home watching
Steelers football. I assumed he'd say no, but he was angry that
I let her call to ask and interrupt his game, so he said he didn't care.
(Thinking I'd deal with it and say no)

Me... I was actually excited too.
wee.gif

DH was surprised when I actually
came home with 2 CHICKENS! LOL!!

Never ASSUME! lol!
lau.gif
D.gif

I got freaked out over 911 then the avian flu, then the super bug (all the pandemic talk), seems like i'm forgetting a few things. But I just had to move to a few acres and raise some meat for my family.

It's been a LONG time in coming, but we are getting there.

The rewards are more than just raising and eating our own eggs and meat...we've got a little petting zoo outside and my tot just LOVES it! She feeds the goats, and says "awwwee" when she sees a chicken. We're incubating now, so she gets to see that. She's learning things you could NEVER learn from books or tv, or school. So the benefits are endless for us.

Unfortunately for me, my two older girls don't want to eat any of our meat. They'll eat the eggs all day long, but not the meat. One has to know it came from the grocery store, and the other just watched a horrifying video about how beef and chickens are handled and has turned vegan (so much as an 11 year old can) I just didn't get them to our little hobby/homestead farm young enough
hmm.png

That's my kooky reason for getting into chickens
ya.gif

I'm a professional cook,have been all my life. a friend who has an organic farm asked me to come help her slaughter meaties and i went and was really good at it. I was getting paid in chicken and eggs, then I started getting into the eggs alot,cooking them it's so obvious how much better they are. Then I realised i really liked the chickens and they weren't hard to take care of, so here we are. A beautiful coop made of recycled wood came out to about $125, and 8 Australorps are 18 weeks old and should start to lay anytime now

I got started about 4 years ago when my Dh was talking to a friend and told him he would like to get some chickens someday. Later that afternoon we found a cage with 3 White Leghorns in it in the middle of our driveway! Not your usual drive by! I had to do a crash course on chickens. I'm a farmer's daughter but we had everything but chickens. So I had to learn fast. At least my Dh knew what to do with them.

For me it was just the LOVE of every thing feathered...just never grown out of it...but I DO LOVE my chickens and everything else I have feathered.....(93 and counting!)

I have always adored them... a simple life I wish I could live
wink.png
So happy so long as they can scratch in the dirt and do what chickens do
smile.png

I made the mistake of stopping in the feed store for bird seed during chick days and fell head over heels in love with a little Silkie chick. Was going to keep it as a pet... why not? People keep all kinds of beasts as pets..... why not a chicken? I didn't have to worry about it biting fingers off like a parrot
tongue.png
And then he needed a friend... and then I decided he must have more room and more friends... LOL So here we are, a coop and a bunch of chooks and big plans for the future
big_smile.png

Edited to add.......

What did you taxidermy them for? Photo shoots or ads???? Decoration???

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom