How did you find your way in the chicken world?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fancie, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I was just curious how you got your start in chickens? My start is a bit bizarre... I used to taxidermy chicks. I got my birds from breeder culls I would receive live. One day I received the smallest duckling and the smallest chick I have ever seen.... I went ahead and kept them and watched them grow. Ends up I got a silkie hen that was missing a toe and a east indie drake. Since then I have gotten him a mate, 2 mandarin ducks and 2 more silkie hens and a rooster. The silkies blessed me with two babies this year (many more but doggie accident) They are darling birds I would never think of giving up.

2. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    OK, That was weird. I guess you could say you "Mummified "them instead.

We had chickens when I was a tot. I don't remember much except reaching my tiny hands under those fuzzy butts on cold mornings and grabbing those warm perfect eggs. I wanted to recapture that feeling. I now have 12 laying hens-3 BR, 7 Buckeyes, 1 Delaware, and 1 red sex link.
    Any every morning I go outand reach my hand under those fuzzy butts and recapture my childhood for a brief but wonderful moment.

3. Chicken Boo

Chicken Boo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Glenn Dale, MD
    A friend of mine offered me her 4 hens. It had never occurred to me to keep chickens. She was getting a couple of horses and decided that something else had to go out of the parrots, great dane, cat, and chickens. I spent 2 to 3 weeks researching the keeping of chickens an decided to give it a try. I really expected my DH to say NO but he remained neutral. I enjoyed the 3 australorps and 1 barred rock so much that I ordered 5 chicks. I have since acquired 2 production reds and lost the barred rock to my stupidity with one of my dogs. 10 hens seems to be a good number.

4. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    A friend of mine mentioned he had gotten chickens. I mentioned it to my husband and I was expecting to get a "Oh my god are you kidding" but instead we got chickens. And the whole family is so into them. It's awesome so glad we did it. [​IMG]

5. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I grew up in the outer rim of suburbia with a real longing for the rural life. I took riding lessons for a short while but having my own piece of country life was not going to happen.

As chance would have it, a few years back my husband and I bought a home in a rural area zoned 'mixed use'. I'd always liked the idea of having a big fat goofy bird that laid eggs, and after reading a little about them and realizing I could have them and not end up sacrificing much of my free time we learned what we could, and got to work on a coop. We now have 2 goofy dogs, 1 marauding ferret and 8 big fat goofy hens that are everything I hoped they'd be.

6. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    When I was growing up on our family farm (Grandparents 2aunts and 2 uncles and us all lived on the same gravel Rd sharing 300 acres in MD) my older cousin raised chickens. I had horses never really got into the chickens much. Well after moving from home in 1999 to NC I started missing my home and close family. So I started asking my husband for some chickens. Our yard here is only 1 1/2 acres so we could not have horses. Though it is still country with my house surrounded by cotton and soybean fields owned by a big farm. So finally in March for easter this year my husband got me 4 chicks. The rest is history (I want more and more and more). I am hoping that out of the eggs we get my children can maybe enter them in the fair, or do something with 4h. At least thats the reason I give my husband when I keep ordering eggs for us to hatch.

7. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I grew up on a small farm. You can see a photo of me at about 7 years old with my banties on my BYC page. I had chickens of my own even younger than that. Of course, there were other chickens around the farm as well.

I no longer live on a farm but I'm busy with "agricultural" activities - farming and keeping livestock. Well, I have gardens and keep chickens [​IMG].

Steve

8. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    My Great Uncle and Aunt looked after me when my Mom was at work and they had chickens. I can remember one particular little hen who would come and sit on a stump with you at the wood pile and wait patiently while you cracked pecans for her. There were many other wonderful birds from my childhood that I never forgot and as an adult I wanted my children to experience those kind of things. I grew up in a farm environment so to this day I still do things as much the old fashioned way as I possibly can and chickens are just a large part of that. It makes me feel good to be productive and to give my family healthy things to eat and a sense of acomplishment.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Originally mine were for pest control. I had heard that chickens would eat bugs a lot, and since we had a major tick infestation this year, I decided to get a few bantams to take care of them. Well, my 5 original banties turned into about 100, and then I got guineas for the bugs!! The chickens don't seem to like the ticks that much!!

10. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    We never considered chickens and then friends offered us their old chicken shed as we have a couple of acres. I took some persuading, bought a book and then we got our first 4 warrens. That was about 12 years ago and we have had varying numbers of chickens and ducks ever since.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by