How did you get started in your hobby?

brandytab

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Upstate NY
I wonder what got people into doing what they do... and how they discovered that they were really talented at something! I've dabbled in a little of this and a little of that, but I'm just not particularly GOOD enough at anything. Did you spend a lot of time learning something you wanted to learn before you got good? If so, what made you decided that you wanted to learn that particular thing and wouldn't get bored with it?

I've got craftiness in me, but I'm annoyed at myself that I can't come up with anything neat and/or original
tongue.png
. I'd love to bring in some extra money for us... not a ton, but a little something, and especially to be able to make nice homemade gifts. Maybe I'm hoping that someone can inspire me with how THEY got inspired
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I think I was just born with the want to be crafty. I sew, paint, make all sorts of things.

I watched lots of Martha Stewart too. SHe has great ideas.

Somethings I see in a magazine or online and have to make.

Sewing is my favorite. As long as I can remember I have been trying to sew. Now, I am actually getting really good. LOL I like needle work too. I have self taught myself most everything I know from sewing to training horses......that is how I learned, by reading, reading, reading, and watching the best folks of the trade do it.....

Good luck.

See, when I was a kid/teenager, I was always doing wood crafts, needlepoint, etc. Always some sort of craft. And then I had kids and it all got away from me besides pulling out the sewing machine here and there. That's what's bugging me, I think... like you said, it's "in" me - or used to be. When I worked here and there I was a cake decorator - I was only happy when I was doing something creative.

Now I'd like to get back into it and I'm realizing that I just don't know where to start, and what is reasonable. I'd hate to put out a ton of money and not be very good at it!

Well my hobby has become my profession. I was raised by parents that were both involved in agriculture as family businesses - so I guess it was passed on to the children.

My siblings and I grew up on a 50 acre farm and outside of school most of our time was spent in the garden, the woods, in the pond but most often on the backs of our two horses.

As an adult I left horses behind and did the professional world in sales and marketing. I thrived, my family thrived - I made lots of money and had lots of "things". A little thing called an acquisition fixed that, a little thing called a severance helped me figure out what I really wanted to do. Years prior, my MIL had mentioned that I would make a great teacher and that always stuck with me.

I had been volunteering for a local 4-H club around 2000 and then attended a Centered Riding Clinic and I was hooked. For so many riders, I knew that the principles of CR could help riders become more fluid with their horse, develop better balanced riders, softer hands and a more effective use of leg. A better total awareness of body and the horses body.

I am working towards making a healthy business and love what I am doing. I have also let a higher power guide me more than ever.

I started mine by watching Simply Quilts. I bet I watched it for 10 years and always wanted to make a quilt. So now I have 6 grandchildren and I'm working on them. I'm self taught, well Simply Quilts helped a lot. LOL

You should start with the block of the month. All you need to do is one block and there are a lot of free paterns on the web. Come on join us.
wink.png

Quote:
If I join you, will you explain to me what a block of the month is??
tongue.png

I just love quilts, and I buy vintage ones when I can get my hands on them at the estate store. I wish I knew how to make them!!

Quote:
If I join you, will you explain to me what a block of the month is??
tongue.png

I just love quilts, and I buy vintage ones when I can get my hands on them at the estate store. I wish I knew how to make them!!

Yes, go to this one in hobbies, **2009 Quilt Block Swap for JUNE** It's all explaned on the first page. You do one block and send it to the person below you or you could do this one, Themed "Block of the Month" Sign-Up for June.

There are a lot of free paterns on the web.

anyone around here knit???

i got hooked by a neighbor, and have been knitting ever since
smile.png

-----------------------------------

I hate the yarn at wal-mart.... and would someone answer me.... i've just been talking to myself all day on here!!!!
smile.png

well I would have to say that I was in your boat a few years ago when I got laid off and did not really want to go back to work with my 4 small children at home, so I decide to try to supplement my income with something, I love to work with my hands and have always made my childrens halloween costumes, so I was dibbling around on eBay one day looking for something and ran across "tear bears" and thought that they were so cute, so I decide to look into what you had to do to make them, found a few websites (most of them tell you to buy patterns to use for the bears) but I did not want to buy anything, so I decided to see what I could do.... I figured out what kind of paper they use and ordered some on ebay then I got hooked, the tear bears turned from just the bears to doing premade scrapbook layouts with them, cards, checkbook covers and everything else I could put those little guys on
I am pretty much self taught on all my items, I try until I get the desired effect or layout and build from there. I think if you indulge yourself whole heartedly in one thing, and then build from there you could most definetly be onto a good thing, I am so glad that I did my research and fell in love with my hobby, not only does it bring in enough money for me to have some spending money but to pay a few bills also.

Back
Top Bottom