How did your mean day olds turn out?

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
I just hatched 3 goslings. Gosling number 1 hatched a week ago, he’s cute, a little nibbly, but nothing crazy. Gosling number 3 just hatched and seem to be on the same developmental timeline as gosling number 1.

But omg gosling number 2…?

Gosling number 2 is a bitey little terror, she bites and pulls at everything, the paper towel, my finger, the cardboard box, her poor little just-hatched sibling got their fuzz yanked, twisted and pulled. Did I mention she’s only 36hours old?? Gosling number two also has to be the strongest, most energetic little hatchling I’ve ever seen. she was up, active and eating within hours from hatch, for reference, the other two could not even stand up in the same time frame!

I’m already concerned that this behavior is indicative of aggression into adulthood, has anyone else experienced this or are my worries too premature?

photos of gosling number 1 and 2 for tax

Attachments

• F3288200-1D2E-43C2-8B89-FA64C198E340.jpeg
    F3288200-1D2E-43C2-8B89-FA64C198E340.jpeg
    542.9 KB · Views: 130
I just hatched 3 goslings. Gosling number 1 hatched a week ago, he’s cute, a little nibbly, but nothing crazy. Gosling number 3 just hatched and seem to be on the same developmental timeline as gosling number 1.

But omg gosling number 2…?

Gosling number 2 is a bitey little terror, she bites and pulls at everything, the paper towel, my finger, the cardboard box, her poor little just-hatched sibling got their fuzz yanked, twisted and pulled. Did I mention she’s only 36hours old?? Gosling number two also has to be the strongest, most energetic little hatchling I’ve ever seen. she was up, active and eating within hours from hatch, for reference, the other two could not even stand up in the same time frame!

I’m already concerned that this behavior is indicative of aggression into adulthood, has anyone else experienced this or are my worries too premature?

photos of gosling number 1 and 2 for tax
Nobody knows for sure but geese are smart birds
I taught mine the word no
If she is doing anything she shouldn’t I say stella no and she stops immediately
Mine is only 3 months old
I don’t allow her to nibble on me or my clothes at all
I want her to know it’s not okay

I do bet that one will be the leader though. I have raised many baby ducklings and the bossy ones always become the leader of the flock
I’m sure it’s the same with goslings

Congratulations on your babies!

Personality is present from hatch, sounds like you’ve got a little whipper snapper! Though that doesn’t mean that she’ll end up being an aggressive goose, she may just always have a confident big personality.

Geese explore their world with their mouths and goslings love to nibble on parents, unfortunately they can chew on siblings and everything else and they don’t always know their strength. I’ve taught mine that gentle nibbling is okay but bites are not by tapping and gently holding their bills when they get too intense, after awhile they learn to have a soft mouth.

As goslings it can help to give them something more interesting than each other to chew on, like a small towel, stuffed animal, something with stringy bits they can’t swallow.

Agree with @Goosebaby - a big personality doesn't necessarily translate to "aggression" later. She sounds healthy, active, and vibrant, which is a great start for a gosling.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about her assertive personality at this point. If you can get them out (safely, like in a secure pen) on grass soon, they can start occupying themselves with nibbling it, instead of each other. :)

Thank you all for the advice, I'll keep an eye out and maybe her personality will translate to something else. I was planning on keeping two if I kept any... females or a female male pair, we'll see what I end up with!

I don’t allow her to nibble on me or my clothes at all
I want her to know it’s not okay
oh no, I actually like the nibbles when they're softer, haha.

I’ve taught mine that gentle nibbling is okay but bites are not by tapping and gently holding their bills when they get too intense, after awhile they learn to have a soft mouth.
Thanks! I want to try this too because I do enjoy being nibbled on if they dont yank me. the eldest loves nibbling on my hair and I'm kind of paranoid he's going to choke on it

Agree with @Goosebaby - a big personality doesn't necessarily translate to "aggression" later. She sounds healthy, active, and vibrant, which is a great start for a gosling.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about her assertive personality at this point. If you can get them out (safely, like in a secure pen) on grass soon, they can start occupying themselves with nibbling it, instead of each other. :)
They're out on grass today! I kicked out the older chicks and gave the outdoors hutch to the goslings. The oldest one still peeps up a storm when I'm out of sight, but the younger ones are content with each other's company.

My goslings are seven and eight weeks old; they all get along with each other, the chickens, and turkeys. They like to talk to us and nibble our clothes when we get on eye level with them. So far, they have only shown aggression to my dog, but I, as Head Goose, put them in their place. No biting my precious pup!

My goslings are seven and eight weeks old; they all get along with each other, the chickens, and turkeys. They like to talk to us and nibble our clothes when we get on eye level with them. So far, they have only shown aggression to my dog, but I, as Head Goose, put them in their place. No biting my precious pup!
is that the pup in your profile pic? Adorable!

In my experience, usually the most active and bold personalities at a day old are boys. They have also been my most imprinted and favorite birds when adults.

In my experience, usually the most active and bold personalities at a day old are boys. They have also been my most imprinted and favorite birds when adults.
That's a fascinating observation, I hope I have a pair in there somewhere. Tried the whole vent sexing thing and had no idea what I was looking at, lol

Back
Top Bottom