How do 5 toe genetics work?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluck-cluck, Nov 3, 2012.

1. cluck-cluck

cluck-cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand that 4 toes is a genetic recessive, and that 5 toes should be dominant, but what I don't understand is how some chicks are born with both 4 and 5 toe feet? Why are they different, not the same? Anyone know? Thanks :D

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Are u talking about different chicks from the same brood (or whatever its called)?
    If so, since every trait has 2 genes, it could go like this. Example: rooster has a 4 toed gene and a 5 toed gene. He will have 5 toes(dominant trait). Hen has 4 toed gene and for toed gene. She will have 4 toes. a chick can get the the genotype of either 5toe/4toe, or 4toe/4toe. If its the first genotype listed, it will have 5 toes. If its the second listed it will have 4 toes.

I hope this is what u were talking about....and that i did it right. [​IMG]

3. cluck-cluck

I understand that much, but I have two Sultans with 1 foot - 5 toes and the other foot - 4 toes. So I'm wondering how that happens?

4. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    ahhhh, ok. i was wondering if thats what u meant......frankly, i'm not sure how that happens

5. cluck-cluck

LOL, really weird, eh? I mean if it's a genetic trait, you'd expect it to be one or the other, not both [​IMG] Well, maybe someone will educate me yet [​IMG] I'll just be good a wait... [​IMG]

6. picalowpiepi

picalowpiepi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2017
    well im nearly 5 years late but i'm gonna put this out there for others. It's called a punnet square. So basically, all chickens have 2 copies of some gene. Say we're using the chickens above; the hen has 2 four-toed genes, which are recessive, and the rooster has 1 five-toed gene. Only one dominant gene is needed to make it show, but a chicken needs two recessive genes to make it show (that's why when you breed silkie crosses, they are all hard feathered because the silkie feathers are a recessive gene)

This is the punnet square.

t t

|_________|_______ |
    | | |
    t | tt | tt |
    | 4-toed | 4-toed |

|________|_______ |

The top is the hen's gene. The left is the rooster's. So basically, complex living things go through meiosis, where the cell divides their dna into 4(i think) and then combining randomly, which offspring gets what dna. There's a bunch of other stuff llike mixing up the dna, etc, etc, but it's way too long to explain. hope it helped!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by