How do decide which drake or any?

njschule

Chirping
Jun 11, 2019
I got 3 ducklings for this spring’s hatch. 2 cayugas and 1 pekin. I ended up with only 1 female out of the bunch. I bought 6 Khaki Campells. 2 are drakes. I have a total of 12 ducks - 4 of which are drakes when I should only have 1 - or none. The Pekin has turned out to be pretty aggressive. Chasing the females and attacking the males. Is that a drake to cull or keep? I think cull but I wanted to check. Do ducks work like chickens where they seem happier with a drake/rooster around? Thanks.

My duck hens love their drake. I would keep one for now. You can always cull the last one at a later date if it’s not working out. Watch
The way the behave towards the ladies and towards people, also how the ladies react. You want the drake that the ladies don’t run away from or try to escape from. You want the drake the ladies follow around.

I got 3 ducklings for this spring’s hatch. 2 cayugas and 1 pekin. I ended up with only 1 female out of the bunch. I bought 6 Khaki Campells. 2 are drakes. I have a total of 12 ducks - 4 of which are drakes when I should only have 1 - or none. The Pekin has turned out to be pretty aggressive. Chasing the females and attacking the males. Is that a drake to cull or keep? I think cull but I wanted to check. Do ducks work like chickens where they seem happier with a drake/rooster around? Thanks.
I'm still pretty new to ducks. We just got them this year. However, I am likely to be faced with an issue of too many drakes as well soon. I would not stand for an overly aggressive drake. They go to freezer camp. However, I don't rely on my drakes for protection of the ducks. If that's the case though, it may be useful to have a certain level of aggression. I'm seeking a calm flock that my toddler can be around, so aggressors gotta go. Also, with a multi-breed flock, I would try to keep a drake of the breed I like most in case I wanted to hatch eggs in the future. Physical and behavioral traits would also play a role in the decision making process then.

Also a drake close in size to your ladies (if you have different breeds) is a good thing
That's a very good point! - I have two drakes, a smaller Indian Runner who is too short for my White Layer ducks, if he latches on to a girl's neck he is to short to reach the »business end«. The Buff Orpington drake on the other hand is so large that my Indian Runner ducks run away from him.
(Imho) Your Pekin drake is to large for your ducks, especially if he is agressive…

Back
Top Bottom