How do ducklings stay dry?

SergeantSniffle

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
I’ve looked for what seems like hours for the answer to this; How in the world do ducklings raised by their mother stay warm and dry, especially in water. I know on land the ducklings can huddle under her like chicks and a hen would. But ducks take their 1-2 day old ducklings straight into water, while domestic ducks without their mother get soaked and would die of hypothermia without a heat lamp.

Last edited:
I’ve looked for what seems like hours for the answer to this; How in the world do ducklings raised by their mother stay warm and dry, especially in water. I know on land the ducklings can huddle under her like chicks and a hen would, but duck take their 1-2 day old ducklings straight into water, but without their mother, ducklings get waterlogged and would die of hypothermia without a heat lamp.
Ducklings raised by a duck get their feathers waterproofed by sitting under their mothers. Apparently enough oil from the mother's feathers get transferred to the ducklings.

Ducklings raised by a duck get their feathers waterproofed by sitting under their mothers. Apparently enough oil from the mother's feathers get transferred to the ducklings.

Really?? That’s crazy! I thought about that but I didn’t think they could get enough oil on them.

IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0227.JPG
Hello..Truth be known water stimulates the oil gland to produce oil as soon as they are introduced to water.
Momma Ducks take Ducklings onto water and once they get cold she warms them up. Brooder raised Ducklings only need part of the Brooder heated so they can choose if they want to be under heat.
I use these containers so they can't make such a wet mess..

I use the tupperware with holes as well thanks to the great ideas from this forum! Those pesky girls still find a way to stick an oversized flipper foot in and splash water EVERYWHERE. Hey, at least they're having a grand ole time and know how to warm themselves up under the light with their stuffed "duck daddy" :gig

Back
Top Bottom