How do ducks fair in the winter???

My Welshs have all been enjoying the cold weather...but last night was the first time I think they were happy to go into their hut. Normally they have no desire at all to go in at night, so this was a new one for me.

My Pekins and Rouen are doing fine so far I was worried because they didn't want to get into the coop are more content to stay outside of it. Well today they are swimming in their pool in 20 degree weather and it's snowing.. I'm thinking they're not minding it much..

my ducks were always hardcore for open water, even at -20c or colder!
I kept enough birds over winter so nighttime closed in the coop, they were comfortable, sometimes a light in there for heat if it got nasty cold.
You'd think thier naked legs and feet would suffer from the snow and cold, but they seem pretty sturdy against it.

Crazy birds.....
:)

Ours prefer to be outside if given a choice even if it gets down to 0 F. They like to find a sunny place to sit. Sometimes if their feet get cold they and the geese will stand on one foot. Then they will sit on them to warm them up.

Thanks to all you winter veterans for posting about your experiences. We are going through our first artic type temps here, not above 16 today with a wind chill of 10 and 9F tonight. It's supposed to be like that the next 3 to 4 days at least. I was reading to see if I had done what I needed to to keep my guys safe and protected and I feel much better now having read your posts. My 8 seemed pretty good today after I added another wind break next to their house and put extra straw down in their paddock, but it being our first winter I was a little nervous.
We don't heat their duck house, but it had deep litter of Pine pellet and dust and straw in it. We're at about 10 inches to a foot in there. It might get into the high 20's in there at night, but I don't think below that.

Thanks again for all your posted experience.

Since I last posted, we have had even colder temps... Several nights in a row of 0 to 5 degrees F. They still chose to sleep out in the open at night. They have a "dog-house" styled shelter and sleep there more often during the day than they do at night. I have plenty of straw for them both in the house and on the ground outside. They all did just fine and were quacking away at me in the morning waiting for their ice to be broken out of their water, which they immediately jumped into.
roll.png

Last edited:
We're sitting at -6 F, with a wind chill of -16. I will not be letting the ducks and geese out for long today. It's just too darned cold. Yesterday was bad and they were out and shivering the whole time they were out there even with the sun. They can have the time it takes to change their water and food and by then I'm sure they'll be quite happy to go back inside.

We're sitting at -6 F, with a wind chill of -16. I will not be letting the ducks and geese out for long today. It's just too darned cold. Yesterday was bad and they were out and shivering the whole time they were out there even with the sun. They can have the time it takes to change their water and food and by then I'm sure they'll be quite happy to go back inside.
ditto

This is the first time I have had to stop in the middle of chores but today it is just stupid cold out there. The wind is screaming and the temps are still in the minus. I am dressed to the nines with my cold weather clothing and it's not doing much good today. The ducks and geese can wait a bit, as can the chickens, for me to finish a cup of hot apple cider, lol. Their buildings are insulated and draft free and I know they all still have water so it isn't a hardship for them to give me a minute or two.

I am rethinking even letting them out for the short time it takes to do their water and feed. It is truely bitter out there. They may have a down coat but I'll tell you what...their poor little feet don't and it's just not something I want to see for them.

How bad there Amiga?

My Khakis don't seem to mind the cold. I give them extra bedding, food and lettuce to help them through each day. Was -3 when I let them out this morning and they made a beeline for the pond. I just took the photos below of them on the pond in 6 degree weather with a slight breeze blowing. They don't seem to get out of the pond only to go over to their feeder and I have straw on the ground for them to walk on. The pond is spring-fed and though I haven't taken the water temp in a while it does stay around 45 degrees +/- year round which probably feels warm to them right now.

Blessings to all in your efforts to care for your beloved ducks during this cold snap.

Back
Top Bottom