how do I administer safeguard paste?

cityeggs

Songster
Oct 25, 2021
Bay Area, CA
I've tracked down Safeguard to deworm my birds (one is sick, others are asymptomatic), but the closest place that has any only has paste. I get how to use the Safeguard liquid, but I'm confused as to how to get them to eat the paste. Does it come with a dispenser and do I just put it in their mouth just like I would a tablet or a liquid (after I double-check how to do this safely) and squeeze it out, allowing them a chance to swallow intermittently (I have no sense yet of how much I give them)? I know I have to weigh them ahead of time to correctly calculate dosage.

And, will one tube be enough for 3 birds for the 5 day broad-spectrum worm treatment?

Thanks!

And what I'm seeing is .23-.25ml/lb of weight for 5 days. Sorry to be dense - is this .23ml of the active ingredient, or .23ml of the medicine at 10% solution?

It would be best to get a few syringes from your feed store. If using the paste, you would need to squirt a little out, and draw it up with a syringe. The liquid should be shaken well, and use the syringe to draw up the liquid. Give either one orally a little at a time letting them swallow and give more. With either medicine, you give 0.25 ml per pound of the paste or the liquid.

Back
Top Bottom