HOW DO I CALM DOWN A ROOSTER

When my last rooster went crazy on us, we souped him. YUM YUM!
tongue.png

I have a meanie roo too. I took to carrying a green spray bottle with me that had vinegar/water in it. He tended to keep away from that. Sadly, it stopped working a few days ago so I've been keeping a stick or the broom with me. He's attacked those a few times. Last evening I was outside with them and had a metal shovel I was using to turn the dirt in their old pen. He took a hankering to attack that shovel and you could just see the ringing go through his feet up into his head! He didn't come back for another go at it, that's for sure! I'd like to be able to snag him up and carry him around for a while, but I don't have the nerve to try it. I like the fishing net idea though. That might help.

I carry a bucket for eggs when checking and the scots grey rooster often tries to attack people.
When he runs up on me i put the bucket between me and him then start talking to him. I then crouch down to his level and talk some more. Then offer food. He calms when I'm talking so I reward with food. This has helped the last few days.
There has been a mink around and this is his first adult season so I'm giving him allowances but really need this behaviour to stop.

im not afraid especially when i have my stick he tries to steer clear of me but when i dont its attack mode so ill try to push him to the other side of the run

So stop relying on the stick. Some roosters are just mean. Others learn respect. Im no expert but if I get the stick eye I go into forward mode = roo goes into backward. I have never kicked or held a roo upside down or anything. I just own the space. I do pick them up but I give him a nice pet and then let him back down. Not sure this works with all Roos but it has served me well with 2 so far.

Back
Top Bottom