How do I catch a chicken?

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
What's the best/safest way to catch a chicken. Also, how should you hold them once you've caught them?

I've heard and seen differing methods and would like to follow the best approach. That is if and when it's possible. Those chooks can be amazing little gals and seem to slip through my fingers before I can get hold.
wee.gif
And then they know that you're on to them...
barnie.gif

That is too funny, cause I have been there...I found a safe way to catch the ones that give me a run for my money is to use a Large fishing net...as long as you are gentle taking them out...never had one to even break a toenail....good luck;)
big_smile.png

I usually would wait until they go to roost in the evening. Aside from that, cornering them works sometimes, bribery (with food) will work sometimes, and occassionally you'll need a partner!

It has taken me and my three children up to half an hour to catch on particularly fast hen named Nona. She's my GLW and she is really skittish. We wind up shushing her towards a corner near the house and then she is trapped. But it took us a long time to figure out how to get her in when she escapes!! Good luck!

We either catch them on the roosts at night or use a large net if we need to catch them during the day. I'd rather grab them up at night as its less stressful but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way.

Here's a pic of Skip/doc_gonzo with one of our BTBJ boys in the net, when we were moving the main part of the flock to the new coop/run back in July. The birds have never had any injuries from being caught with the net, either. Got the net at Lowe's, in the pool section. It was right around $20.00. Found the same net at a local pet store for $40.00.

47b7cc26b3127cceb264399f48f400000026100FYtm7ho2Y-

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom