1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I catch an aggrssive tooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by krapnet, Dec 13, 2013.

1. krapnet

krapnet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2013
    Time for him to go, bullies the others and me, I want my chickens to free range in peace, not get harassed. I tried to lure him into a cage with treats, but he is smarter then that. I separated him from the flock, to get him in the cage, but he makes warning noises and the others start to panic.
    so what is the best way to get a hold of a rooster?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Wait until he roosts for the night.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    X2. Only way to go.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Amen to that. I don't catch chickens during the day, it freaks the whole flock out. When they roost, take something to cover him--old towel, etc. You still have to be fairly confident and hold him firmly, but it's the best way to go. Have a cage to put him in until daytime to process. If you keep the cage covered, he'll stay calmer as it's dark.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    a fish net will really extend your arm, just drop it over the top of them, even really mean ones calm down, once they realize that they are truly contained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by