How do I catch and hold my baby chicks?

LeafLover

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
Tennessee
Well, I can lock the hen (mom) away so she doesn't kill me, but I cant catch the tiny fur balls! I've been talking to them, and they should recognize me ( I've taken millions of pics since they popped out of their eggs) and I talk to them...but when I go to hold one, they run and scream bloody murder! I want to hold them so that I can hold them when they are bigger.
Any suggestions?

Just hold them. Even if they run away, catch them, hold them in your hand. even though they have gotten used to you talking to them, and watching them. When you go to pick them up they're like, "Hey! What on earth you' doing!!!" Just hold them, they will get used to you.

Okay okay! But if you don't wanna go threw all that, then do what I did
wink.png
)

Whenever they get close to you, feed them their favorite treat. (mine was cottage cheese) If they don't get close to you, then just put it in your hand and wait there. Then, every time you come out, they will run to you and say "Feed me feed me!"
lol.png
smile.png

Last edited:
corner them and put your hand over the wings. Be very gentle, the wings are fragile. Then put your other hand under them for their feet. After I hold mine for a little bit I put them close to the ground with my hand open and they'll perch on my hand for awhile.

I'd keep the hen away. Depends on how she is when you touch her chicks. If she gets all pircky ( or should i say, pecky
wink.png
) then take her out of the equation.

klen: I've tried to corner them, even in their dog house coop! they are just soooo fast! They fly right by me, well...run while flapping those little wings and squealin'. But, thanks.

chickenbarn-gal: Seems I should keep her away then lol. She growls at me when I get near.

Back
Top Bottom